27| The Fall of Star.

"What will you do if I ever lie to you?" It was one of those days, when Edric would sneak away from the palace to get away from his brothers and he would run as far as he could to the meadow, where his head would be placed on Miranda's lap and she would stroke his hair gently, humming songs to ease away his jarring memories.

She would ask questions, so many questions, with the softest of voice, and he would watch her, the way her lips moved, the way her accent was different than his, the way she'd laugh hearing his sudden compliments and he would wonder, he would wonder how he could have had gotten so lucky to lay on her lap, to be able to tell her that he loved her more than she could love him.

"Lie to me?" Edric asked as he watched her watching him, her gray eyes softened. "Why would my moon ever lie to me?" he gave her a small smile, noticing how her serious demeanour immediately dropped and her cheeks slowly reddened and she looked away, mumbling something beneath her breath.

Miranda spoke nothing over him and brushed his dark locks of hair using her fingers, the rings she used to wear now in Edric's fist, for she didn't want his scalp to be scraped by her rings. "But if you ever do lie to me, by any chance," she continued stroking his hair, her touch gentle. "I will forgive you."

Her fingers came to a halt. "Forgive me?" she let out a breath. "And what if it's a lie so big it's not worth forgiving?"

His answer was quicker than before. "I will forgive you."

"Why?" It was confusing for Edric how Miranda's voice had broken that way, quivering as she uttered that one word, her voice quiet like a moonless night.

"Because you are the last person who will hurt me. I can not imagine it -- you lying to me, or betraying me, or you doing anything that will hurt me. It is unimaginable," he said, his each word heavy with firm belief. "If a day comes like that, Mira, where you hurt me, know that my heart can never hate you I have no say over it when it comes to you."

"But that is not fair to you," Miranda said, watching him give her a smile at that statement.

"When were the gods ever fair to me, Mira? Besides, I don't mind it if it's you," he took her hands, holding her fingers, putting on the rings where they always belonged -- the black one in her index finger, the red, worn out one in the middle finger and the silver one in the ring finger. "The only time the gods listened to me was when I begged them to save me and they gave me you."

The cart they were riding on was constantly meeting with bumps on the road, making Edric and Kael hold onto their belongings as a way to not move and fall right into the muddy ground. Edric noticed Kael had finally shut his mouth after realising that Edric had no interest in whatever he was going on about. It'd been a few hours since he stopped talking and Edric had to admit that the silence was awfully awkward and it didn't help him forgetting who he was about to meet.

He needed distraction and as much as he hated it to admit it, he realised the only way to divert his attention was by conversing with the Kael. "Say, sire-"

"You can call me Kael. Addressing me as sire makes me sound like an old fart," Kael rolled his eyes.

Edric was already regretting his decision. "Yes, well, Kael, what is the current situation in the palace?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Current situation? I am afraid I can not disclose council matter to you,"

"No, no," Edric shook his head, wetting his lips. "I meant how is His Majesty? He is in good health?"