09| Protector of Souls.

After the rain subsided, the smell of earth after the rain filled the air. Miranda would usually enjoy this smell, but this time, she only worried as she stood in the middle of the meadow with bare feet, the wildflowers almost shining after the rain, droplets of rain still falling from the petals and leaves, a cold breeze caressing Miranda's damped hair which had turned to a dark colour due to the rain.

She'd been waiting like this for hours and never did once thought of leaving. She wouldn't leave — not until Edric came.

Miranda looked at the sun which wasn't hiding behind dark clouds anymore and realised it'd take an hour or two for the sun to set and she wouldn't be able to wait after that. She would have to return to her camps, for the final preparation and it wouldn't matter even if she didn't want to return — her father would find her, for she was his right hand.

She pressed her forehead tightly, dropping her head, looking down as drops of water fell from the tips of her hair. She clenched her jaw, biting her cheeks, feeling tears in the corner of her eyes. Her hand reached her eyes, pressing them firmly, not letting the tears fall as she fell to the ground, no more being able to stand as she sat on her knees, covering her eyes.

She swallowed, muffled cries coming out of her mouth as she placed a fist on her mouth. Tears fell, reached her jaw, her chin, lateral tears colliding with each other. They fell and all she could do was let them fall.

Her thoughts were all full of Edric. Edric dying, Edric struggling beneath her sword, Edric crying after seeing his parents, Edric losing his mind, Edric looking at her with disgust, Edric hating her, Edric pushing himself away from her — all she could see was just Edric.

She wouldn't kill him — she would never be able to kill him.

"But what about mother?" She asked to no one particularly, crying silently, breathing harshly.

She suddenly felt footstep coming towards her.

"Mira,"

Mira.

She didn't even realise how fast she'd wiped her tears as she stood up in an instant. He was behind her and she had no idea how to face him without shame and guilt in her heart.

"Mira," Edric stepped forward, as he realised how fragile Miranda was looking as she stood there, hunching, her clothes sticking to her skin, her hair all drenched and damped. "Have you. . . have you been crying?" His heart wretched seeing her in a state like this and he wondered what could've possible happened for his moon to feel so lost.

Edric reached for her wrist, grabbing it gently and making her turn around to face him. She wasn't looking at him, she wasn't looking at anything. Edric held her cold hand, the warmth of his hand already making Miranda feel secure and sound.

"Mira," Edric said, his voice softening, tilting his head. "Look," he said quietly. "Look at me,"

"Is it your father?" Edric tried to guess, his hand still connected with Miranda's.

"You are going to die. They are going to kill you," her voice was quiet, so quiet Edric would have never heard it if it wasn't for him being close to her.

"Miranda, we talked about this—" Edric left her hand, backing away.

"I know! I know we said we wouldn't talk about you getting killed by the Ezèrian. That we will quietly spend time together as much as we can. But Edric. . . ," she finally looked at him, her eyes teary, glistening in the corners of her eyes. "You are going to get killed. They are going to kill you. You are going to die."