24| Moonlit Confessions.

"Tomorrow?" Edric swallowed once he heard the news from Eris, his mind already spiralling with thoughts of Miranda despite not wanting that one bit. He'd been preparing himself for this moment for seven years and yet all he could think about was when Miranda's lips met his.

Edric didn't speak for a moment and let that information consume him. He was going home. No, he wasn't going home. He was going to take back his home.

He was going to retake Elysia, to retake the throne, to declare himself as the true ruler of Elysia.

He was going to the Elisora Palace. He was going to avenge his parents, his brothers and his unborn sibling. He was going to put a sword in the usurper's heart. He was going to take it all back. And he was going to see Miranda.

Miranda.

"Miranda," the name rolled out of his tongue incautiously, just like how he was whenever he was with her -- incautious, guards down, and fragile. Edric's eyebrows rose when he realised that was the first time he'd taken her name in seven years. 

He hated how her name still sounded like slow flutters of cuckoos' wings in a quiet meadow in his ears, he hated how it reminded him of when she first said her name and he almost didn't hear it because he was too entranced by her eyes, he hated how he took her name in thin air just because he realised he was going to see her again and he hated how he couldn't hate her at all. He hated it all. 

"I have heard you say that name quite a lot in your sleep," Eris brought him out of his thoughts, her voice low, the crickets being louder than her. "Your past lover, I assume?" Each word she spoke were like an arrow that she aimed towards her own self and prayed to the watching-gods to show mercy and make Edric say no.

"As always, your assumptions are quick like your sword," Edric let out a small laugh and took a seat by the pond that rested a few yards away from their cottage. It was late at night, the advisor sleeping in the guest quarters that Jeril had by his cottage, Jeril waiting for his student and daughter to get back home while they both sat under the half moon, moonlight watching over them like an audience, the stars also joining in.

"You're not denying, are you?" Eris let her head fall behind, her eyes locking with the stars above her as she realised she had never seen them so bright in her entire life. Maybe they were also giving Edric a farewell, or rejoicing that he was finally doing something that he wanted to do. "Will you visit us? When you settle there? The palace is pretty far away from this area, takes about half a day if I'm not mistaken and even more sometimes depending on your transportation,"

"I will," Edric said, his voice firm. "Will you write me letters?"

Eris chuckled. "You know I hate writing," but she knew she would. She would write letters. Lots of letters.

He laughed again, looking over his shoulder and glancing at her. "I will write to you, then. You can just read,"

"I will write to you now and then. I can do that much," she shrugged, grinning.

"Not sure if I can decipher your handwriting, though. It's pretty hard to read it,"

Eris smacked Edric's arms, almost throwing him over the pond when he shrieked and regained balance to sit again. "You know I don't know how to swim!"

"And that is exactly why I wanted you to fall," Eris remarked, now smacking him lightly.

"Try to do something about that temper of yours once I'm gone," he sighed, shaking his head.

"The right person will handle it," Eris dipped her toes in the cold water, the coldness travelling across her feet as she shook them against the waters, gesturing Edric to do the same as well.