04| Acceptance of the World.

Edric was about to enter his father's chambers when he suddenly caught his older brother's cold glare from across the hallway.

"Disgrace." Eric mouthed spitefully, twitching his lips as Edric sighed, before knocking on the door and entering the chambers after getting permission from his father.

"I heard you remembered me, father," he greeted his father by a tad bow as he observed the man who was bedridden because of him.

His eyes were barely open but with the little bit of strength that he had in himself, he opened his eyelids, taking a glimpse of his son and smiling, a weak, fragile smile that tightened Edric's heart.

"Elvin," he barely heard his father calling him by the name that he gave him. "Come, have a seat," his voice was weak as he gestured him to have a seat.

He walked towards him, sat at the edge of the bed and looked at his father gently. He took his frail hand in his, rubbing the back of his palm, an only way to comfort him.

"Elvin, how's your white wings? You are not having any problem with them, are you?" he asked worriedly, frowning deeply.

"They are fine, father," Edric let out a sigh, a sigh full of guilt as he pushed away the black bangs from his forehead, the same dark hair that he had inherited from his father. "You shouldn't have done that - you shouldn't have made me a renèi Possessor. Now you are suffering like this because of me," he looked down in shame, gripping his hand tightly.

"I was dying anyway, son," he said, smiling somehow. "I don't regret doing it - I don't regret transferring my renèi Possession to you,"

"But I regret it," he said it finally. "I regret having your renèi Possession as a way to keep living,"

"Elvin," his father's eyes softened, the eyes that had lost light due to weakness. "Transferring my renèi to you is the best decision I made after having you,"

Hearing that, he looked up and realised how warm his father's smile was and even for a moment, he didn't feel abandoned. "With or without renèi Possession, you are still my son."

Edric swallowed the lump he had been holding and realised he was on the brink of crying. "Then why?" his voice held desperation as he continued. "Then why did you do it? Why did you risk your own life to make me a renèi Possessor even though your body wasn't compatible with the transmission? Why did you do it, father?"

"So you can be accepted as a Prince -- by your brothers, by the world," was his father's calm answer as he continued. "To me, you are my son - but to the world, you are a Prince - the sun of Elysia, the pride of Elysia. You can't be a Prince if you have nothing, Elvin and it is time you realise that,"

"Then, I don't want to be accepted! Not by my brothers, not by the world!" It was odd, seeing Edric, the calm and gentle Edric releasing his anger and feeling in such way.

"Elvin," his father sighed. "I know you are going to be against this but I was actually thinking of transferring more renèi to you since you have large amount of renèi capacity in your body,"

Edric looked up to his father, but this time he was disgusted. "More? Father, I die everyday in shame - thinking I'm the reason of your condition right now. There is no way I'm getting more renèi Possession,"

"Being a Possessor of one renèi is not enough! you need two more at least. I can give you. I can make you a Memory Writer!"