10| The Willow Tree.

Edric could swear that his body was melting.

He was nervous at first — thinking Miranda would push herself away from him but when she also moved her lips alongside him, in the same rhythm, both of their lips moving slowly, Edric couldn't help but smile and bring his other hand to cup her free cheek. He leaned in more closer, holding her cheeks so gently he thought she'd perish away if given too much force.

His eyes were closed and yet he could feel like he was seeing the stars and the moon as he felt Miranda holding his waist, her touch cold along with her lips.

Edric had always dreamed about this moment and never once decided to make it real because he didn't want to scare her off but now that he'd finally done it, with all his courage and confidence, he'd never imagined it to be so perfect that he wanted it again, and again, until he could no longer see the stars and the moon.

For a moment, his world stopped —it came to a halt as Miranda deepened the kiss by leaning closer, pressing her lips in all corners of his lips as she brought her hands to wrap them around his neck, sending him tinkers and goosebumps all over his body, while he placed his hands around her slim waist, almost touching the skin of her waist due to her drenched clothes.

And just like that, as they were both kissing each other's lips, Edric forgot all of his problems for a while — he forgot he was in pain, he forgot their palace could be attacked anytime soon, he forgot he was a burden — to him and to his family, he forgot he had transferred renèi Possessions and all that mattered, was him and Miranda.

All he could think of was how soft her lips were, how she was grazing his lips with hers, how there was nothing existing right now except for him and her, how he wasn't doing anything to let her go and how she was doing the same as well.

Soon, when he realised that both of then were breathless, he pulled away from her, already missing her touch as he looked at her, only to see tears flowing down her flushed cheeks.

Edric held her cheek, grazing her cheek with his thumb finger, wiping the tears away and then cupped her cheek gently.

"You have my heart, Mira," he said, his voice quiet, husky and silvery. "All of it," he then leaned in towards her lips and pecked it slowly before pulling away and watching her get flustered. "I think it has been yours even before I met you."

Miranda said nothing. She only held the hand he was using to cup her cheek as she nodded. She nodded again and again, until she felt the tears again and he would wipe it — again and again.

"I'll wipe your tears as much as it's needed," Edric smiled and Miranda finally looked upto him and she could swear her knees had started to weaken when she saw how beautiful he was looking when he'd said that to her. Miranda noticed the dimples in his smile, how his eyes were suddenly shining like the stars, how his own cheeks were red, how his hair was all messy and scattered because of her.

Miranda looked away, for she knew if she noticed him too much, she might just pull his collar and go for another kiss.

"And Mira. . ." Edric began and Miranda prepared her heart for what was coming next. "As for the Protection Spell. Please, don't waste it on a weakling like me. I can never accept it. My guilt will only grow more if I'm the only one surviving in my family and that happened only because I'm protected by a spell," he explained, his eyes softening.

"I can never forgive myself if that happens."

Miranda again nodded, pressing her lips firmly, trying to not let her tears fall again.

"Can you. . ." Miranda finally spoke and Edric immediately straightened his posture, all his attention to her. "Can you meet me here tonight?"

Edric shoulders slumped. "Mira, you know how dangerous it is at night. It's most likely they attack at night and I have to stay by my family's side—"

"Only tonight," Miranda said, looking at his deep set eyes as she saw how they softened after hearing how desperate she was. "Please, Edric. I will never ask for anything like this again."

Edric raised his eyebrows because of how she was talking and let out a small sigh and smiled at her. "Alright. I will be here tonight."

Miranda grinned widely and it took everything in Edric to calm his loud heartbeats.

Miranda's eyes landed on the willow tree across the meadow and so did Edric's. For her, the willow tree was the only constant thing there. It knew her, her agendas, her worry, her pain, her love — it knew everything and perhaps that's why she chose this place to betray the only person she'd given her heart to.

"Under the Willow tree?" Miranda asked, her eyes still fixed on the Willow tree which was almost glistening due to the rain, raindrops still falling from its leaves.

Edric smiled and confirmed. "Under the Willow tree."