2. Fr Patrick Coffey - Mortonhurst, October 1968

Father P. Coffey

Sacred Heart Parish

Mortonhurst, Q.L.D 4000.

2nd October, 1968.

Mr. Stirling Peacock

1-3 Ocean Crest Drive

Kiribilli Terrace, N.S.W. 2060

Dear Mr. Peacock,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. My name is Father Patrick Coffey, I'm the priest at the Sacred Heart parish in Moretonhurst, Brisbane. It is with a heavy heart that I write to you today, bearing news of a sorrowful event concerning your sister-in-law, India's family.

Recently, the Piedmont family faced another tragic loss. Madeline's father, Guiliano, may he rest in peace, passed away unexpectedly due to a heart attack. As you might be aware, India had left her family to marry Mr. Piedmont, and sadly, a longstanding estrangement persisted between her and her relatives. Consequently, Madeline finds herself an orphan with no immediate family to turn to.

Madeline is currently under the care of the sisters at our convent, and while they provide her with comfort and solace, a stable and loving family environment is irreplaceable. Given your standing as a respected and prosperous member of the community, we earnestly hope that you might find it in your heart to extend your support to Madeline during this challenging time.

Your kindness and understanding in this matter would mean the world to a young girl who has already endured much sorrow. We understand the complexities of family dynamics but believe that compassion can bridge even the widest gaps.

May Providence guide you in your decision, and may Madeline find solace in these trying times.

Sincerely,

Father P. Coffey

 Coffey

Author's Notes:

Author's Notes:

Before the internet, formal letters were formatted very differently. Typically, the sender's address was aligned to the right, while the recipient's address was placed underneath but aligned to the left. The date was always placed on a new line under the sender's address.

Wattpad doesn't like this format, and on several occasions, has tried to "correct" the line spacing/alignment. Hopefully it'll look right when I post this chapter, because I'm really over trying to fix it. 🤯🤪

Moretonhurst is not a real Brisbane suburb, however there is a Moreton Bay. The Moreton Bay region in Brisbane is now one of the largest municipal councils in Australia. The area is named for the amazing Moreton Bay Fig trees, and Moreton Bay Bugs (Thenus orientalis), which are a type of slipper lobster. They're just as delicious as conventional lobster, but much more affordable.

All photos are from Google images.

The number 1 song in Australia in the week of 2nd October, 1968, was Tom Jones' "Help Yourself," which you can listen to below. 👇🎵🕺🎶

I can't deny that Mr Jones has an amazing voice, but his voice isn't his only claim to fame. Women used to throw their panties at him during his performances... 🙈😳 To each their own, I guess. Personally, I find him a bit sleazy 🤷‍♀️