3. Stirling Peacock - Kirribilli Terrace, October 1968

• इन्हें समर्पित: Lucymary69

Mr. Stirling Peacock

1-3 Ocean Crest Drive

Kiribilli Terrace, N.S.W. 2060

23rd October, 1968

Father P. Coffey

Sacred Heart Parish

Moretonhurst, Q.L.D 4000.

Dear Father Coffey,

I trust this letter finds you well. I have received your correspondence regarding the unfortunate passing of Madeline's father, and my heart goes out to the young girl in these trying times.

Our family will be commemorating Remembrance Day in Brisbane this year, since my son will be receiving specialised medical treatment in Wickham Terrace, earlier in the week.

Regrettably, my involvement with R.S.L. activities will occupy the majority of my day. However, I am committed to ensuring Madeline's well-being.

After careful consideration, I have arranged for my wife, Odette, to travel to Moretonhurst mid-afternoon on Remembrance Day, to collect Madeline. I understand the delicate nature of the situation and want to assure you that Madeline will be warmly welcomed into our home.

I must confess that Odette was initially hesitant about taking on this responsibility, considering the circumstances and her own reservations. However, after discussing the matter with her and emphasising the importance of family solidarity in times of need, we both believe it is the right thing to do.

I understand the weight of this decision and the impact it may have on Madeline's delicate state of mind. Rest assured, we will do our utmost to provide her with the comfort and support she requires during this challenging period.

If there are any specific arrangements or instructions you would like us to follow when collecting Madeline, please do not hesitate to inform us. We appreciate your trust in us to care for her.

I trust that our collective strength and resilience will navigate us through these challenging moments.

Sincerely,

Stirling Peacock

Stirling Peacock

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Author's Notes:

Wickham Terrace is Brisbane's version of Harley Street in London -- noted for its private medical specialists. While some specialists do still have their practices there, Wickham Terrace isn't as specialised as it once was, due to the emergence of medical centres and specialists working out of hospitals.

R.S.L stands for Returned and Services League in Australia. Here is a short description of their work, taken verbatim from their website:
https://www.rslaustralia.org/

"Advocating for benefits, treatment and the welfare of current and ex-serving members of the Australian Defence Force and leading the nation in commemorative services since 1916."

For my American readers, Remembrance Day, or Armistice Day is what you call Veterans' Day.

The house pictured above is in Kirribilli, Sydney, and is typical of the houses that you'll find in this VERY expensive Sydney suburb.

According to realestate.com.au a waterfront mansion in Kirribilli recently sold for over 19 million dollars. Unfortunately the only photo available of that home was of the front door, which, considering the price, was rather unremarkable, so I just went with a "regular" Kirribilli mansion from Google images.

The photo of the well dressed gent (I wish men still dressed like this 😍), is also from Google images.

The number 1 song in Australia at this time was The Beatles' "Hey Jude" which would remain at number 1 until 11th December, 1968. Hands up if you're a Beatles fan 🙋‍♀️🤩

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
The Other Bill Shakespeareजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें