15. Edith - Sydney Harbour, New Years Eve 1968

I'm so nervous. I've never been great at confrontations. Aunt Bex, is spending New Year's Eve with some of her egg-head friends, so she won't be here for moral support. Nevertheless, she's right. I have to do this. I need to know why Elizabeth was so disrespectful?

The tender taking us out to the yacht, arrives with Mr Sturrock's secretary, Bethany, at the helm.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about...

With his trademark expression, Simon quickly assesses the situation. "Cripes!"

"Er, is it safe?" I hear Aunt Caro whisper nervously to Uncle Albert.

It's a valid question. While I firmly believe that women are capable of achieving anything, my impression of Bethany's type of capable differs greatly from the type of capable required to pilot a boat.

As if to confirm my fears, before any of us can sit down, Bethany accelerates with the enthusiasm of a Bond girl escaping a villain. Madeline stumbles into me and we both crash into our seats with a scream.

"WE'RE ALL GONNA D-D-DIE!" Simon exclaims.

Mum replies with, "don't be ridiculous, Simon," but she'd be more convincing if she weren't clinging to dad like a limpet.

In an effort to ignore my mind's attempt to persuade me, that we're all going to a watery grave, I think about what I'm going to say to Elizabeth. She was so insolent. I still can't believe it.

Elizabeth could have made her point politely...said something like, "I'm sorry Mrs Peacock, I couldn't help overhearing..." But no. She was wilfully rude. Aggressively so! She needs to apologise.

She's always had impeccable manners... Well, in front of my parents, anyway... I mean, usually... She impressed upon me the importance of getting the olds to trust you, so that when they did finally look away, you could break their rules without them suspecting...as much.

That's why Christmas Eve was such a shock. Her behaviour was so out of character.

Wait a minute... Character? Oh, man! If that was one of her acting challenges, I'm going to be majorly pissed off. No, actually, I'm already pissed off! Good. I won't drown. I'm too angry to drown!

Amazingly, Bethany gets us to the yacht safely. The moment I board, I spot Elizabeth coming towards me. I steel myself, determined to get answers to my many questions, but I've barely even make eye contact, before she pounces.

"Didi, I'm very upset with you!"

"You're upset with me?" I stare at her in astonishment. The audacity!

"Of course! Does our friendship mean nothing to you? I can't believe you didn't stand up to your mother, on Christmas Eve. Why didn't you insist, that you wanted to stay with me over Christmas? I'm terribly hurt."

"But Lizzy, there were never any firm plans in place. You know that!"

"I thought our friendship meant more to you. I thought you'd be excited to spend Christmas with your best friend! You could've persuaded your parents - made it happen. You didn't try hard enough."

"Mum was always going to say no, with Aunt Bex visiting. I did tell you not to get your hopes up. There was no need to be so rude, Lizzy. You'd better not have been performing one of your roles."

"Oh, Didi, how can you think such a thing? I was just really disappointed."

Wow! She's actually crying. Then again, Elizabeth can cry on cue, so I'm not sure if I can trust those tears.