9. Madeline - In the Garden, Christmas Eve 1968

I saw Aunt Odette with Uncle Stirling, walking towards his study. Panicking, I went outside instead. There was no sign of Edith, so I could enjoy the beautiful garden in peace.

As usual, I headed straight for the shade of the big Moreton Bay Fig. It reminds me of Mortonhurst, and was my favourite place to just sit and be still, whenever I felt overwhelmed or homesick. Today, I was feeling a mixture of both.

Simon knew where to find me. He must've been worried that Edith was lurking around somewhere listening, because he handed me another note, instead of telling me outright what happened. It read: Dad has a plan, don't worry. Didiot will stay with my aunt for a while, but don't say anything. It needs to look like a spontaneous invite.

I nodded and said. "Tell me about the other people, Aunt Odette has invited to dinner."

Senator St-t-turrock is your t-t-typical politician. He seems nice enough, but it's a-a-a plastic kind of nice. His son Jason was expelled from t-t-t-two prestigious schools. I don't think he's at school anymore, but he's still a-a-a real prat. The senator's d-d-d-daughter, Elizabeth isn't much b-b-better. She's Didiot's b-best...b-best friend, so that should give you some idea... His wife..." Simon snorted "...she's b-b-basically an a-attractive pot plant."

"A what?" That cracked me up. "Oh my gosh, Simon! I've never heard of anyone being referred to as a pot plant before."

Simon smirked. " Well, she has no opinions of her own and c-c-can't see how pretentious her kids are." He glanced at his watch. "Maddie, we'd b-better get d-d-dressed...for...for d-dinner."

I sobered instantly. Dressed for dinner... I sighed. This really was a different world, one in which I felt I didn't truly belong. I didn't say that out loud of course, but Simon was sensitive enough to notice my discomfort.

"W-w-what's wrong Maddie?"

"Nothing."

"Maddie!"

"I'm going to feel completely out of place. I'll probably use the wrong fork or...say something stupid."

"A-a-at least you'll be say-say-saying something."

Simon enjoyed making me laugh. Ever since he found me crying, the day we met, he made it his mission to brighten my day; and here I was, chuckling again.

"It's...true." He insisted. "I w-w-wont talk...at all! I c-c-completely freeze in c-c-company, and it d-d-doesn't help that I c-c-cant stand the St-t-turrocks."

"What about your aunt though? I'm sure you're looking forward to seeing her again."

"Yeah, she's pretty c-cool."

"I heard your mum refer to her as, Becs. Is that short for Rebecca?"

"No, it's B-Beatrix. Mum gave her the n-n-nickname. It's spelt w-w-with an x...like the pain killer."

I burst out laughing, again. Who knew Aunt Odette could be so witty? The slogan for Bex was: take a Bex and have a good lie down and Simon's aunt was a psychiatrist!  But I was a little confused... "Simon, how come you go to Wickham Terrace when you've got a shrink in the family?"

"Aunty d-d-didn't think it was ethical to-to-to take me on as a patient, but the guy I see is a-a-a former b-boyfriend of hers."

"Yet, she never married?"

"She was engaged once. He d-d-died, in Korea."

"Oh, that's sad."

"Dad said, Aunty Bex always wanted to-to-to be a wife and m-mother. She'd never shown any interest in a-a-acad..acad..academia." He paused with a grin, pleased that he'd managed to get the word out.