7. Edith Peacock - Brisbane Domestic Airport, 12th November 1968

I hate her. This is all her fault. She hasn't even been here a day, and already she's ruined my life!

Dad was like: "If you spent more time with your brother, instead of chasing after boys, you would be the one he talks to."

And mum... Mum actually agrees with him! I hadn't expected that. Before collecting my dearest cousin, she'd go on and on about what a cad her brother-in-law was, and how she expected his brat to be just as ill-bred.

Now, she's changed her tune. The hypocrite! She's actually trying to make me feel bad, by pointing out that Simon trusts a veritable stranger over me. Well, it won't work. It's not my fault that Simon is the way he is.

Just because I wanted to do some sightseeing, which is what normal people do when they come to a different city, Dad is cancelling my sixteenth birthday celebrations. I've missed out on so much, because I've been stuck babysitting Simple Simon. Now I'm going to miss out on the most important event of my life, and it's all her fault!

Look at her, cozying up to my father, like she's a part of the family.

"I know you've not flown before, but there's no need to be afraid."

Hmph, I don't recall Dad ever asking me if I was afraid. Then again, I suppose we do fly a lot...well, compared to poor people like Madeline, anyway.

"Oh, I'm not afraid, Uncle Stirling."

Pfft...

"You're not?"

"No. My dad used to say that fear is something you learn, but that in order to be afraid, you have to have a good reason to accept that lesson..."

Oh, here she goes... I put on my sunnies, so I could roll my eyes without being called out on it. 

"...I haven't learnt to be afraid of flying. There is no evidence to support my needing that particular lesson, so I'm rejecting it."

Dad burst out laughing. "That's very wise, Madeline."

Seriously? Now, in addition to being caring, sensitive and mature, Madeline the Magnificent is also very wise. Oh, how I hate her. I HATE HER!

So, while Mum and Dad were distracted with checking us in, I decided to mess with her. "No one would blame you if you were frightened, Madeline, given what happened eight years ago... I do hope you're a good swimmer."

"Huh? What happened? Why do I need to be a good swimmer?"

"Well, our plane is a Focker Friendship. Eight years ago, the same type of plane crashed in the ocean. There were no survivors, you know." I leaned in for emphasis. "And d'you know what's really scary, Madeline?"

She shook her head, causing her ridiculous braids to wobble.  "What?" she asked.

"They still don't know what caused the crash," I whispered.

To my dismay, she didn't appear in the least bit intimidated. "Well, that was eight years ago, Edith. They've  probably learnt a lot since then," she said.

"So, you're not even a teeny bit afraid?"

"More excited, actually." She grinned, showing off her stupid dimples. Then she paused and frowned, as if something had just occurred to her... "Edith?"

"Yes, Madeline?"

"Simon mentioned that you've all flown before, so I'm not sure why you're feeling nervous, now but -"

"What? I'm not nervous, I'm-"

"But if it'll make you feel better, you can help us do the giant crossword. I'm sure that'll take your mind off crashing."