4. Madeline - Mortonhurst, Remembrance Day 1968

About six weeks after the pond incident, Mother Joseph called me into her office. Father Coffey was with her. I was immediately on my guard, because once again, he looked quite solemn. I caught the tail end of their conversation...

"No, I haven't said anything to her, because to be frank, I don't think she's going to be pleased. I thought it best that we just -"

Mother Joseph stopped talking when she saw me hovering in the doorway. Father Coffey told me to come in.

I entered rather timidly. "Father Coffey, Mother Joseph, am I in trouble? Has John dug up the roses again?"

"No Madeline. Not this time." Father Coffey smiled, but quickly turned serious again. "However...the time has come for you to leave us."

"Why? I'll try better, I promise!" I was almost crying. I didn't want to go.

"Oh, Madeline, come here." Mother Joseph pulled me into her warm embrace. "You're not being sent away because you did anything wrong. You're going to live with your mother's family. Isn't that exciting?"

"No!" I extricated myself from Mother Joseph's arms. "Mum's family hated dad, so I hate them!"

"Christians do not hate, young lady." Father Coffey said.

"So, you're sending me to a heathen family then?" I asked, in all seriousness.

Mother Joseph supressed a smile. "She has a point, Father."

Father Coffey sighed. "We must pray for those who exhibit such behaviour, Mother. Besides, they are blood relatives, and they have agreed to take her." There was a knock on the door. "Ah, that'll be Mrs Peacock, now."

Mother Joseph ushered in a lady wearing the most beautiful clothes I'd ever seen. She wore a sprig of rosemary pinned to her jacket, and had hair so high, I wondered how it stayed like that. I would have thought her pretty, if it weren't for her sour expression.

Mother Joseph introduced us. "Madeline, this is your aunt, Odette. Mrs Peacock, your niece, Madeline.

I was a polite child, so I said hello. Aunt Odette ignored me and began talking about me with Mother Joseph, as if I weren't there.

"She's rather chubby. You should have put her on a diet."

Mother Joseph pursed her lips and frowned. I may have only been a child, but I'm pretty sure that Mother Joseph didn't like my aunt very much. "She is within the right weight range for her height," she replied.

"Hmm, but definitely on the heavier side. I can't abide greedy fatsos," Aunt Odette declared.

"The child is going through puberty. The doctor has determined that she is healthy. Surely that is what's important?" Mother Joseph's lips completely disappeared after she'd said this. I reckon, that if she weren't a nun, she'd have answered differently.

I scowled at my aunt. "At least my hair doesn't look like a bubble made of marble."

Father Coffey gasped. "Madeline, that's very rude. Apologise at once!"

"I will if she does," I replied. "I'm not a greedy fatso!"

Ever the peacemaker, Mother Joseph said, "I'm sure, in time, you'll both learn what hurts the other's feelings and avoid doing so. Mrs Peacock, as the adult in this situation, I'm sure I can count on you to set a good moral example for Madeline." When Aunt Odette stared at her blankly, Mother Joseph added, "Now is as good a time as any to make a start."

Aunt Odette huffed but complied. "I'm sorry if you were offended, Madeline."

She didn't sound sorry, so I responded in kind, "I'm sorry if you were offended too."

"Very well." Aunt Odette huffed again. "Now, pack your things and say your goodbyes quickly. I have a cab waiting to take us to the hotel. Our flight leaves early in the morning."

"Flight? Where is your home?" I asked, suddenly nervous.

"Kirribilli," Aunt Odette replied.

"Kirribilli? Isn't that where the Prime Minister lives, when he's not in Canberra?"

"Yes, it is a rather affluent suburb." Aunt Odette actually smiled.

"But...that's in Sydney."

"Oh, very good, Madeline."

"But that's miles away. How will I ever visit the sisters, and Father Coffey and...John?"

"John? Who is John?" Aunt odette asked in alarm. "You're too young to have a boyfriend."

Mother Joseph chuckled. "John is our dog, Mrs Peacock. He's become very fond of Madeline."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Madeline. The sisters took you in after your father died, because charity is...what they do... Now that you have a real home to go to, they'll have nothing more to do with you."

"Mrs Peacock, I must protest!" Father Coffey exclaimed. "Madeline attends school here. The sisters have known her since she was in kindergarten. I've known her since she was born. I baptised her. Madeline is not a charity case to us. She's family."

"Thank you father," I said meekly.

Aunt Odette had the decency to look embarrassed. She apologised, but I was left with the reality that I may never see Father, or the sisters again. I was thirteen, with no money of my own, and interstate travel was prohibitively expensive.

So, on the eleventh day of November, 1968, I left the serenity of the sisters' convent, to live the proud life of a Peacock. At least, I tried... To some, I'm sure, I'll always be a fat little peahen, who'll never attain the rich Peacock colours of their world.

 To some, I'm sure, I'll always be a fat little peahen, who'll never attain the rich Peacock colours of their world

Author's Note:

Author's Note:

All photos are from Google images.

The term "rosemary for remembrance," is taken from a quote by Ophelia, from Shakespeare's play, Hamlet. One of the traditional medicinal uses of Rosemary is for cognitive function. Students used to take rosemary into examinations, to help them concentrate, and remember what they've studied. I've done this, and can testify that it works. Perhaps for this reason, it is often worn with or sometimes instead of the poppy, on Remembrance Day.