Chapter 22: Calm before the Storm

It was once again snowing. The light particles floated down to the ground, making the world ghostly. The 24th of December was the day, it was 5 in the evening.

Yuuhime stared at her colorful nails as Xuan combed her hair.

She missed her dolls at the other house. By far, she had the most dolls in the Utgard house than the other houses.

"Your hair is so soft." Xuan said, placing her now silky hair across her shoulder. She smiled, blushing.

"You always make it softer." She said. "How do you do it?"

"Heh, I guess I just have that charm."

"I like your charm."

He blushed, smiling softly.

They heard Yamato cursing in the other room, struggling with the Holiday tree.

"It'll be a surprise!" He'd told them. "Go be cute in the other room or something."

"Wonder why he hasn't called one of us to help..." Xuan murmured. "I know he told us to not help, but still."

"It's not like him." Yuuhime agreed. "Guess that means you just have to braid my hair."

He chuckled and carefully started to braid her long hair.

Soon, Yamato came sliding in. "Finished! That was no issue at all!"

"Was it, now?" Yuuhime asked. He huffed and folded his arms.

"Because of that insult, you must help with decorating it!"

The two got up and followed Yamato to the secondary living room, to a small tree. They both were secretly surprised. How had Yamato struggled with a tree that was smaller than himself?

They didn't have time to question it when he pointed to an old cardboard box.

"Put the ornaments on. I'll make cookies for Saint Nick!" He sang as he left.

"Poor Saint Nick." Yuuhime sighed. "I hope Yamato doesn't make him too sick."

"Saint Nick, eh?" He said, picking up the first ornament and stuck it on the tree.

"It's all fun and games until he makes us try them." She laughed. He giggled along with her.

As they decorated, a smell of burning filled the house and their souls with despair.

"Ah...! It seems I've burnt the cookies..." Yamato said, brining the blackened cookies into the living room as they finished putting the ornaments onto the tree, their stench burning their noses. "It'll be fine, I'm sure. Try them!"

The two grimaced and took the charcoal-like disks, biting into them. The crunch they made sent shivers down their backs, the salty taste indicated that Yamato added too much salt and not enough sugar.

"Stop making those faces!" He snapped. "Hmph! No one here appreciates my artistic liberties!"

They quickly swallowed the cookies and looked at the finished tree. Yamato's anger turned to joy when he saw the shining tree. He clasped his hands together.

"What a wonderful tree!" He sighed happily, patting Yuuhime's head. "I just love how you've done it."

She silently nodded, pulling away from his hand.

"Ah, look at the time, I must be leaving, business." He swooped out of the room.

Yuuhime looked at Xuan. He grinned at her, falling backwards onto the couch.

"Oof! Not as soft as I thought." He said. She smiled and flopped next to him.

"It's just for looks." She said.