040 || Secrets

Max's POV

"No."

It broke my heart to hear her voice tremble like that. It hurt even more to see the betrayal and pain in her expression as I forced out the word.

It was a lie.

Of course, it meant something to me. I couldn't stop thinking about it. About her. It was always her. I had never felt like that with anyone. I had never wanted to be so gentle with anyone, to make them feel more than myself.

It terrified me.

That's why I left. 

I woke up that morning with her in my arms, and it had been heaven. I had held her the whole night, and I had slept soundly for the first time in months. Then she whispered my name again in her sleep. I had felt a wave of fear.

I was getting too close.

I had packed my things and left before I even had time to think about how my actions would affect her. I hoped that she wouldn't be too hurt, but now as I looked at her, I knew that I had been foolish to think that.

"Well, I meant something to me." She said, her voice quiet. I saw her eyes shine with the beginnings of tears. How many times could my heart break in one conversation?

"I trusted you." Her voice broke.

So did my heart. Again. And again.

I wanted to apologize. For everything. I wanted to explain how much I cared about her and how I was only trying to protect her. Maybe it was best if she hated me. That had been the plan, right?

Why did it have to be so fucking hard?

She shut the door loudly behind me. I turned. I raised my fist to knock again. I wanted to go back. I wanted to see her again, even if she was yelling at me. I had seen the tears in her eyes, and all I wanted to do was hold her again.

You'll just make it worse. Like you always do.

I let my hand fall limply at my side. I could see her shadow from the other side of the door. I pressed my forehead against the door. 

I wanted to be as close to her as I could, even if I couldn't touch her.

Finally, I forced myself away. I forced myself to leave. I didn't really know where I was going, but I knew I had to go somewhere. I was so lost in my thoughts that I almost crashed into someone. She stumbled back with a loud curse.

Layla.

"Of course it's you." She said it coldly, her eyes finding me. I sighed.

"A pleasure as always, Pierce." I wiped all of my previous emotions from my face.

"Uh huh." She sniffed. I saw her wobble a little on her feet and frown.

"Are you drunk?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"No! How dare you, sir?"She said it loudly. Some people passing by looked over at us curiously.

"So yes."

"Shitfaced." She giggled.

"Classy." I smiled sarcastically.

"You're one to talk, aren't you? About 'classy moves'." She snorted at me. I paused.

"What are you referring to?" I asked her. She wobbled again. I took her arm, pulled her over to a chair, and sat her down. I grabbed her a glass of water and sat down opposite her.