031 || Not hungry

Max's Pov~

It had been two days since... it happened, and I still couldn't get it out of my head. I couldn't get her out of my head. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her in that room, broken and vulnerable. Our dance, her gorgeus green eyes staring into mine, her smile, everything.

It was becoming unbearable. I could barely sleep. To be fair, I wasn't getting much sleep anyway. My nightmares were gradually getting worse. They usually consist of the people I care about dying right before my eyes.

Until last night, it had been her.

I had woken up sweating and panicking. Kelly had grumbled something and told me to go back to sleep, but I didn't. I was terrified of seeing it again. Why had it hurt me so much?

I kept telling myself that I didn't care. 

I don't.

But I just needed to see if she was okay. Maybe some part of me needed to make sure that it had been just a dream. That she was alive. Maybe there was a part of me that just wanted to see her...

I had been pacing outside the door for half an hour now. I didn't know what had come over me. She had crossed my mind for a second, and the next thing I knew, I was at her door. I had to make a decision.

With a deep breath, I knocked. I then stepped back, shoving my hands into my pockets. I could hear movement inside, and I waited hopefully. When the door opened, I was mildly surprised to see Layla.

"Oh, hi." I tried to think of what to say.

"What do you want, Verstappen?" She crossed her arms. I frowned.

What did I want?

"I want to see if she's okay." I said after a moment. It wasn't a lie. She raised an eyebrow.

"I can tell you that. She's not okay. Of course she is not fucking okay. Now if that's all." She said it curtly, beginning to close the door.

"Layla, please. I need to see her." I put my hand on the door, stopping it from going any further. She clenched her jaw.

"You don't have any right to see her. Not after all that you've done to her. You are probably the last person she wants to see right now." She scowled a bit. I understood her hostility.

"It's that bad, huh?" I said it softly. She paused for a second, as if deciding if I was trustworthy or not. Finally, she let her shoulders drop. I saw the sickening worry in her eyes, and my insides twisted.

"I don't know what to do..." She stammered, tears filling her eyes. "She won't talk. She hasn't eaten anything in... I don't even know how long." She wiped her eyes on the back of her hand. I wanted to comfort her.

"Can... can I see her?" I asked once more. She sighed and stepped aside. I gave her a small nod of gratitude before walking inside. The door shut behind me. Layla directed me to a room at the end of the hall.

I knocked softly on the door. No reply. I turned the handle quietly and went inside. Her room was nice. Everything smelled like hers. Her bed wasn't made, and some things scattered the floor. I closed the door softly behind me.

She was sitting on the window seat, hugging her knees to her chest. Her head was resting lightly on the wall. The warm light from the window illuminated her face, making her skin turn gold. Her normally bright, determined eyes were now dull. She was wearing a large grey shirt and red checkered pijama pants.

I felt pity flood my emotions. I blamed myself. Somehow. If only I had gotten there faster... I realized I had been staring and quickly blinked. I took a deep breath and walked across the room to her. She lifted her head tiredly as she heard my footsteps.