★ Comfort

*This is not GerAme/AmeGer. It is to highlight their relationship as friends and how it has evolved. Ships are incredibly uncommon, and if there are any, they will generally be difficult to spot in my stories.

Ludwig was having a bad day. First, he woke up sweaty and terrified from a nightmare. At 4 in the morning. On top of that, pile on some leftover jetlag, and some freezing temperatures in his hotel room. He wasn't able to sleep after that, so he decided to finish some work.

At 7, he realized he fell asleep on his desk, and slapped himself. He began to freshen up and get ready for the day, already exhausted.

A little past 8:30, he ran into the meeting, just a few minutes late. Embarrassed while cursing under his breath, the meeting started and his headache began to grow as the noise level increased as well as the chaos.

He wanted to snap them out of it. To lash out to gain control. But the exhaustion, the tired sensation, it just kept creeping through his body.

Feliciano looked at him in concern. "Ve, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Ludwig replied, but it seemed to be forced.

Calling for lunch, he was about to sit next to Feliciano and the others, but realized that he didn't have anything to eat. And he sure as hell wasn't going to go grab fast food.

Sighing, he sat down, and Feliciano offered some of his pasta. At first, Germany refused, but his hunger started to creep in, and ended up eating some after all.

Post lunch, things seemed to be getting better, until someone decided to make a rude remark about history, and an argument immediately broke out.

It seemed to be going as usual, until another comment was made. "At least the things I did weren't as bad as Germany's." Ludwig froze, and others stepped in, further increasing the argument.

England's swears and insults, America's laughter and yelling, Russia's threats, France's inappropriate comments, China's constant complaints about debt, and so many other loud, loud, loud voices screaming and complaining about everything they hate.

But Germany- no, Ludwig, was still stuck on that comment.

Weren't as bad as Germany's.

WEREN'T AS BAD AS GERMANY'S.

He had a lot of bad things in history. He knew it, the world knew it, but those times were over. People are aware. They refrain from bringing it up.

By now, there were fights and brawls happening. World meetings could be slightly... aggressive, but it rarely ever got physical.

"We're calling this meeting off! Stop it."

He doesn't remember who said it. People quickly grabbed their stuff and left the hall. Ludwig brushed it off when Feliciano and Kiku both asked if he was okay. Once the entire hall had cleared out, Ludwig sat and stared.

He doesn't know how long he's been sitting here. Seconds? Minutes? Hours?

It's his fault, his fault, his fault.

He tenses and wobbles dangerously in his chair, and the room seems to blur around him into colors, colors, colors, and he can't think straight.

Dizzy, dizzy, he feels so dizzy. The ground isn't stable. The room is moving. His head is wobbling, his body is shaking.

A cool, soothing hand is placed on his shoulder. Slowing down the colors, the shaking room.

Grounding him, to the floor, his feet are planted on it and stable.

Soothing, helpful whispers, the person moves closer and wraps their strong, gentle arms around him.

A hug.

Ludwig is slightly in a daze as his arms wrap around this person, who is unmoving, mighty, and comforting.

He doesn't remember how long he cries into their shoulder as they hug and speak words of comfort for him.

After god knows how long, Ludwig takes a deep breath and pulls away, wiping his tears, finally daring to look at this person in their face.

And he's met with bright, brilliant blue eyes, blonde hair, and a small smile from... America. Alfred.

Alfred was helping him, comforting him.

Looking around, he sees the room is empty, besides Alfred and him. They're on the floor, and after a few minutes of relaxing, Ludwig takes a breath and stands, offering to help Alfred up.

He isn't sure how to say this.

"Thank you, Alfred."

Alfred smiles one of those bright smiles, and helps Ludwig clean up his documents.

"You really need to stop overworking, and take a break."

Alfred says in the silence.

Ludwig nods, grateful.

There's many unanswered questions. Why did Alfred help him? How long were they there? Why did Ludwig do that?

But nobody wants to ask. They are comfortable in the silence. They understand.

"Y'know, this kinda reminds me of when you occasionally used to stay at my place in the 50's to 80'."

"It has... been a while since I have been to your house."

"We really need to meet up... and have you relax."

"You too."

Alfred giggles, and opens the door for Ludwig, who tries to dry out the last of his stray tears.

Walking back to the room, deep in thought...

America- Alfred has such a comforting presence. He really isn't as bad as he seems in meetings.

────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────
CHARACTERS (mentioned)
America - Alfred F Jones
Germany - Ludwig Beilschmidt
North Italy - Feliciano Vargas
random fighting countries

A/N
Nobody but me, coming alive once a month and then dying after posting a oneshot!

Oh well... enjoy. :)

I know this is slightly Ludwig centric, but I really wanted to highlight the relationship between Alfred and Ludwig, which I feel isn't brought up enough. My personal HC is that Ludwig stayed with America at times after the split of Germany (Ludwig representing the west, Gilbert representing east (how he's still here today!)) and they probably bonded over being younger than others and things they found interesting. It's kind of a weak HC, but I still like picturing it!

I also wanted to show how Alfred would probably be a person who you may go to for help or something. He just fits the therapist type despite needing a therapist.

Cya later! I'm going to be traveling for the next few weeks, so... welp.

Requests on chapter 1!
────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────