Chapter 18 - Diligent Winters

It's a cold weekend, cold as in the steering wheel was too cold to hold so Umeed wore gloves in order to drive the vehicle. She hummed to herself, staring into the rearview mirror and smiling at the baby who had her mittens covered in her own saliva.

"Beta abhi se kapray kharaab karo taake Haya khala mujhe call kar ke aur mangwayein." She watched her ball of sunshine reveal her gums, her eyes half lidded because of the beanie lowering down her forehead.

Umeed was in a rush so she didn't really put effort into putting the beanie on, just made sure Arzu's head was covered. But the special thing about this baby was that she did not mind, as long as she was with mama.

And Umeed recalled Farjaad's biggest tantrum when it came to Arzu, how she loved Umeed more than she loved him. And she had to lecture him like a little boy, by sitting him down and explaining to him how the baby can't even think for herself.

"Yaar ye kya baat hai?" He huffed in frustration, slumping down on the yellow single sofa and glancing her way. Arzu had slept in the living room on her snoozer swing next to Dado, who was busy reading. It was the evening on a Sunday, meaning this was their relaxing time. Umeed decided to take the day off.

"Kya hua meri jaan?" She smiled, endeared by his frustrations, walking towards him and descending on his lap sideways. "Ab kyun mu bana hua hai?" She placed both hands on his shoulders and stared at his aggrieved expression.

"Wo mere se pyaar hi nahi karti." He glanced down in his lap, like a little child who was told he was not cool enough to be part of the cool kids group. There was genuine disappointment in his face, which made Umeed want to laugh but she had to bite down on her teeth.

"Farjaad aap aik saat maan ki bachi ki baat kar rahe hain" He mentioned obliviously.

"Mein sach bol raha hun, wo mere paas bohot roti hai. Sari hui rehti hai." He shared frustratingly, and Umeed couldn't help it.

"Haan to aap pe gayi hai." She watched as she turned his hands in question. "Tou sahi you bol rahi hun, aap jesi hi tou hai wo. Aur madam ke nakhray bhi aap par gaye hain, zara intezaar karein baray ho kar aap donon ne mil kar mujhe khapana hai." She gently patted his hace.

"But Umeed she gets too cranky with me yaar, it's not normal." He looked up at her.

"Farjaad kya ho gaya hai aap ko?" She smiled lovingly, reaching to cup his face and squeeze his cheeks softly.

And of course it was not something to be upset about. Umeed would leave her with him for over six hours and everything would be smooth with occasional tantrums.

And Farjaad never told her about those tantrums because he wanted to deal with it himself, but she would get all the insight through Niggo who would share about the numerous times 'Ma!' would be heard through the halls and she'd have to run to their room to see what the problem was.

Mostly, it was leaking nappies and vomit all over the bedsheets. But other than that, everything was smooth.

It was just today that she was refusing to go to him, which was making Umeed laugh but he was genuinely devastated. Arzu was attached to Umeed without a doubt, but that didn't mean she felt any less towards her dad.

"Acha ab mun sahi karein, us ka mood kharaab tha, nahi karni thi baat.

"Aur tum mujhe ke rahi ho ke wo mere pe gayi hai..." He muttered as a matter-of-factly. "Abhi se tumhari aadatein aa gayi hain us mein." She chucked at his misfortune and scooted closer to him.

"Pyaar bhi to itna karti hun aap se." She leaned in, pecking his lips. "Aur wo bhi mere jitna hi karti hai." She could see the corner of his mouth curving, and he embraced her into a cuddle before she could fawn him over any further.