14. Kaam

(Mature content)

She had folded her arms and was staring down her lap, irate and pouting. He went to sit on top of his desk and looked at her admirably, not giving her reassurance as justification for her behaviour.

Umeed was not looking up, her eyes were stuck to either her lap, her feet, or his desk - anywhere but in his eyes. It was an existing mechanism when she was aware she would be getting chastised.

"Tumhe usse is tarhan baat nahi karni chahye thi" He was not loud, or angry. His voice was calm and the tone was soft. "Pata hai na, PA hai wo meri" Umeed eased up, no longer folding her arms tightly together. She was expecting him to criticise her, but not expecting to be talked to with care. Hearing him not lash out may have encouraged her to spill what her heart was feeling when she saw how Mehak was speaking.

"I'm sorry" She did not look up, slightly embarrassed at her behaviour. But her feelings were justified, and she wanted Farjaad to be aware of how justified they were. "Magar, baat kuch aur hai." She raised her head and stared at him, hoping she could communicate her feelings without sounding childish.

He breathed in, anticipating what she would be stating. And as always, he adored hearing her talk, listening to her reasoning, being her journal to whom she could spill all her secrets and frets.

"Acha batao, kiya baat hai?" He gave her the freedom to talk.

"Mujhe acha nahi lagta mere ilawa koi aapko dekhe" Once again, her eyes were everywhere but in his, her voice lowering as she spilled her confession. Clearly, she was bothered, and she was more bothered about the fact that she was bothered. And on top of it all, she was unaware how Farjaad would feel about that revelation.

But he was glowing, smirking at her secret. The disclosure gave him a narcotized high, knowing how much she claimed him, how possessive she was getting merely because of some outsider's eyes tracing him. Maybe it was not a matter to be joyous over in the moment, but hearing that it bothered her made him ecstatic. But he was not going to admit that to her, instead he tried wiping the smile off of his face and attempted to give sensible reasoning with a sensible face.

"Hmm" He furrowed his eyebrows, looking as if he was the advisor to her problem, who was thinking of the best suggestion. "Liken farq to iss baat se parta hai na ke mein kis to dekh raha hun?" He saw how she glanced up, really considering his advice. "Aur mein to sirf tumhe hi dekhta hun"

It took her a few seconds to take in his words, but it was when he hummed questionably, she broke into a smile. It only lasted for a second, because she did not want to get distracted any further. The knots in her stomach were beginning to tighten, and she could not afford to tense them further. It was her first day at work, she wanted to be productive. And more importantly, not get distracted by her now boss.

"Acha" Umeed stood up from his chair and walked around his desk. "Mujhe ye bataein ke kaam kiya karna hai?" She stood at the edge of the desk, waiting for instructions.

Farjaad was still sitting on top of his desk, turning his body to face Umeed who looked like she was ready for any instructions headed her way. He placed a hand on the desk, support needed to hold the weight of the question he was about to ask.

"Kaam?" He asked for clarification, seeing her nod her head in excitement while she tapped on her purse. Clearly, she was ready for duties, and Farjaad had ideas, lots of ideas. What alarmed him was the speed at which his brain was generating images in his head.

He slowly got off his desk, walking around it to stand in front of Umeed. She waited for him to say something, but he was only staring at her whilst he played with the button of his blazer.