4. Birthday Gift

(Mature content)

'Bye Reena' Umeed felt his eyes in her direction immediately after, before he took off to his meeting. She felt her blood boil and heart sink. She was cursing him in her heart, vile words towards his way as she watched him disappear. She was not going to let him get away with it either.

'Kitni ajeeb baat hai, apni hi birthday par meeting?' Haya walked up beside her, but Umeed did not respond. Her head was hot, she couldn't think straight.

More importantly, she could not believe he played games, only for her to find out he is engaged. The anger at his inference was peaking. How come he could get away with being secretly engaged, yet Umeed talking to AK was immoderate? Who did he think he was?

Everything was feeling tangled. Umeed did not appreciate her joyous surroundings. She certainly did not appreciate looking to her side and seeing Reena check herself out in the mirror. That seemed to be her last straw.

'Mein aati hun' It became overwhelming, Umeed simply couldn't handle it anymore. It was too take to take in, she had questions. She needed to put him in his place.

'Umeed kahan ja rahi ho?' Haya whispered whilst she attempted to grasp Umeed's arm, aware of her cousin's temperament and what it can lead to, but Umeed pulled herself off of her and stormed out of the dining room with clenched fists and a heated face.

He had only glanced at her for a second, but that second burnt her into ashes. It was a winning glance, as if to mock her for her gullibility. The thought of Farjaad with someone else was making Umeed want to vomit blood.

There was no preparation on what to say to him, but she needed to get the weight off her chest. She needed to confront him. She needed to ask him where he got the entitlement to tell her who to talk to when he himself got engaged and didn't care to inform. 

Without a second thought, she pushed through the white glass doors of his office room and stepped in, slamming it shut along with the second door which would prevent anyone from seeing or hearing the chaos she was about to create.

Her back was leaning against the door as she got a view of him, startled at her abrupt appearance, how he sat manspread on the sofa with an open screen opposite him. She turned around to lock the door, her hands barely reaching up but managing to do so.

'Umeed?' She turned around, breathless and frustrated, thinking of her next steps. It was not as difficult in her head, she simply had to ask him. 'Kiya hai ye sab?'

Farjaad looked at her bewildered. How funny was it that they were in this room a few hours ago, fighting over a pointless argument, congested with jealousy, and here they were again - in the same position. He was seated on that same sofa whilst she stood.

Umeed felt like anything escaping his mouth would send her to oblivion, she couldn't handle listening to him if she gave him that chance. So she brought it on herself to let everything go, and make it easier for her to listen to his berating after.

'Aapne itni tofeeq nahi ki ye batane mein ke aapki engagement hui wi hai? Aur aap mein itni jurrat ke aap mujhe bataein ke mein kis se baat kar sakti hun?' Her finger was raised, the bitterness in her voice clear as day. She wanted it to sting him, at least half as much his engagement news stung her.

'Engagement?' He asked and stood up, his emotions suggesting he was not up for any frenzy. 'Miss Umeed mere sath ye bakwaas na kiya karein.' He pointed his finger right back at her. She couldn't take him seriously, every word felt like a lie. 'Mein kisi se engaged nahi hun.'

And would've called him out for his lies, but one thing Umeed knew about Farjaad was that he hated lies. And his stern tone would've made any minor doubts go away anyhow. He genuinely looked like he was ready to fight her, she could sense his rage while she interfered with his work. 'Kiya kar rahi ho? Meri meeting hai' He pointed to his laptop, but Umeed saw blur all of a sudden.