6. Dinner gone Wrong

"Wo log aa gaye" Umeed runs to the front door, excited as she heard the gate open. The Pashas decided to invite the Khans over for dinner this weekend. Just as any Pakistani household, there was no reason for it, but they wanted to get a better understanding of the family who they will eventually become related to. Out of everyone, it seemed that Pasha sahab was the one most happy with the relationship between Umeed and Farjaad. Not only did he get the most ideal damaad he could ask for, he was in shock that the two were romantically involved, as Umeed never hid her hatred for Farjaad up until they confessed their love. It was the easiest pill Pasha sahab had swallow. It came to the point where he would have no issue, in fact encourage Umeed to meet Farjaad. He showed his role as an improved father by trusting his daughter to not do anything wrong. Of course, knowing that it was Farjaad did make it easier for him, but he never questioned their frequency of seeing one another. If anything, he felt a sense of relief as he felt Umeed's behaviour had changed for the better. He began noticing how she would start thinking rationally about things and not jump into conclusions, an attribute he knew she learned from Farjaad.

"Jaa kar dekho." Pasha sahab stood up and walked to follow Umeed outside.

Umeed skipped to the gate, stopping and fixing her hair once more before she could open it. Of course, Farjaad did give her the tickles, and she did want to look good for him. It wasn't just the way he would look at her, but how he would shower her with compliments, heaving her blushing and giggling like a fool. But she absolutely loved it. She sighed, looking down at herself once more before unlocking the gate, opening with a smile.

"Assalam-"

"Hilo mat! Khabar daar jo cheek maari. Goli maar dun ga!" This was not how guests would greet the hosts. Lucky for Umeed, it wasn't her guests, it was two filthy men in black attire, one holding a gun whilst the other had a cloth wrapped around his face.

"Umeed andar bhi le aao" The three collectively heard Pasha sahab, Umeed unable to move her body as her hands got in the air, taking deep breaths as she watched the gun that was pointed at her. This was some unsettling déjà vu. "Umeed?" As his sound got closer, Umeed winced as she took steps back, the thieves walking in and signaling her to stay silent. Pasha sahab same out, immediately struck by the presence of the goons.

"Uncle ji, aa gaye hai tere mehmaan" The other man spoke, both hands on his hips as he spoke to Pasha sahab. They seemed like quite inexperienced thieves, they lacked that fear any victim would have in their presence. The only thing keeping people around them quiet was the gun in their hand.

"Aap ye kiya kar rahe hain? Hum khandaani log hain, kuch to sochein" Pasha sahab tried to negotiate, seeing that the gun was now pointing to him. He raised his hands defensively, knowing their wasn't going to be anything stopping the two idiots.

"Chalein, andar" The man with the gun instructed, using his gun to point inside. Both Umeed and Pasha sahab nodded, not wanting to risk their lives.

"C-chalein Pasha sahab" As Umeed said that, she noticed a figure at the gate, but refused to react. It was Sameer.

He had gone to get naan as per given instructions, of course. She saw him and widened her eyes, shaking her head as the two goons were focused on Pasha sahab. He saw the situation and was able to determine what was happening, and immediately ran back to stay distant from the crime scene. He got his phone out and called the police, telling them the severity of the situation and giving them his address.

Inside, the two men had the whole family aligned in one place. Aghu jaan, chachi, chachu, Pasha sahab, Haya and Umeed stayed in one corner whilst the thieves questioned them about where the good stuff was hidden. Haya glanced over at Umeed worriedly, clearly signing about Sameer's entry.