13. Business Trip

It's an unusual midnight. The weather outside is rainy, a blessing for people living in Karachi during the summer. After multiple heatwaves, this was severely needed.

There's still three days left till Farjaad leaves for his first business trip after their marriage, yet Umeed is holding onto him like he's going forever.

"Nahi, mein aapko jaane hi nahi dun gi." She clings onto his arm whilst he types away on his laptop. Both of them are tucked in the bed, he's answering last minute emails, as a lot of people from work hd concern regarding work the next day. The roads were beginning to flood and the weather was predicted to only get worse.

"Umeed mein abhi konsa jaa raha hun? Aur sirf aik raat ki baat hai." He types his regards and sends the email to his assistant regarding a virtual day tomorrow. Miss Mehak should be sending the email to everyone first thing in the morning.

Farjaad would usually be very uncomfortable and disturbed if someone was to invade his personal space, especially when he was working. But already, he is used to it. Having Umeed stick to him was a norm, a norm that was also a grand distraction.

"Phir bhi" She placed her head on his shoulder, her hold on his biceps getting firmer. "Mein nahi re sakun gi. Aap kisi aur ko bheijein." The urge to slam his laptop shut and entertain his wife was constant, but he could not take those risks all the time - he is afraid he'll get into a habit of it and abandon work.

"Umeed ab ye to karna pare ga na. Mene apni company ko represent karna hai, jaana to hai." His eyes were fixed onto the screen but he was listening to her contently, his heart fluttering at her disappointed at him going away. "Ye karun ga to hum sukoon se rahein hain."

"Wese bara hum yacht bar bethe cocktail pi rahe hote hain. Aap mujhe time hi kahan dete hain?" It's like she was trying to distract him, putting on her upset voice and childlike clingy behaviour, trying everything in her power to get his attention.

And it worked. Of course it worked. Farjaad was beginning to consider looking for an excuse to close his laptop. And honestly, his wife being clingy and needy was a good enough reason.

He closed his laptop, done for the night. Thunder roared outside and the lightning was visible through the curtains. Farjaad placed the laptop onto the side table with one hand, his other arm not moving thanks to Umeed's grip. He turned to face her but was met with the sight of the top of her head.

"Chalo phir." He went to kiss the top of her head, immersed by the lavender scent of her shampoo. "Yacht par bhi chalein jayein ge."

"Aur doosri baat?" She mumbled, feeling him inhale the scent of her strands.

"Konsi?"

"Yahi, ke aap mujhe time nahi dete?" She pulled away slightly, her grip on his arm remaining but now she was facing him.

"Umeed" He looked at her knowingly.

"Mere saat spend karne wale time par to na pabandi lagaya karein." She pouted, her eyes opening cutely. Farjaad wanted to kiss her pout away.

"Jaanu mein nahi lagata paabandi." He leaned in, kissing her softly. She eased into the kiss. He pulled away but still stayed close "Tumhare saat time ka pata bhi nahi chalta" He kissed her once again, as gently as the first time. "Aur tumhare baghair har minute ghante ki tarhan guzzarta hai" He bopped his nose with hers, seeing her break into a smile.

"Tou mein bhi yahi ke rahi hun na, mat jayein." She leaned in and pressed her lips against his cheek. "Mein aapko miss karun gi". He breathed out heavily, overwhelmed at her attachment to him. The best part was that he was as attached, and was beginning to dislike the idea of going away, of leaving her alone. It was very dramatic of them, considering it's just a night, but that's how attached they are. And the worst part was that it was a night.