[Re-write] CHAPTER 5: Unable to recover

"That scar on your chest?" Just asked.

"It's not a scar," Friend explained calmly.

"Then what is that mark?"

"You really can't remember?" Friend questioned. Just lowered his hand, drying his hair, and glanced back, confused.

"Huh?"

Friend's delicate fingers were raised gently to tug at his collar, moving it to reveal the ruddy spot on his breast.

"Now, do you recall it?"

"Ha?" Just still said it confusedly, not sure what the other was implying.

"You bastard, you really can't remember me?" Friend asked again, but this time his pronoun usage had changed.

Just's sharp eyes opened in surprise, as if a notion had struck him. He looked down at the mark once again before staring in surprise at the child's face.

"You, uh, Friend from room 8?"

2009-2010 academic year

A tanned-skinned boy with thick glasses and unkempt, spiky hair walked, not sprinted, to the front of room 4/8A. A dark varnished wooden sign was placed, with gold letters spelling out "English Gifted Program."

He knocked, then entered, feeling very small because he had only recently transferred here for upper secondary. Everything appeared to be new. When another young man grabbed his eye, he looked left and right. The thin figure approached, then spoke up, prompting the fair-skinned kid to turn.

"You," the small one said hesitantly.

"Yes?"

"Is this seat already taken? May I take a seat?"

"Go ahead!" The handsome new acquaintance smiled back and reached for a chair for the shorter one.

"What's your name?"

"Just. What about you?"

"I'm Friend."

"New student, right?" Just kept on asking.

"Yup," said Friend, nodding.

"Where'd you transfer from?"

"I'm from Damnoensaduak, but I'm too shy to say the name of my old school because you might not recognize it," Friend said with an uneasy smile. His confidence, which he used to have at his previous school, had completely evaporated. Because it felt weird and unnatural to him. He still hadn't adjusted.

"The one with the floating market?"

"Yeah."

"Can you believe I've never been to a floating market in my life? Even I live in Ratchaburi," Just said, gently chuckling.

"I live near the floating market. I'll take you there someday," said Friend

"Let's do it!" Just's face was definitely lit up with excitement.

But before the two could continue their conversation, a teacher entered with a harsh expression. He appeared to be a strict man. After a heated conversation, the students seated together in the room all quieted down.

"Good morning, students. Mr. Kheng is here, your class advisor."

Mr. Kheng introduced himself and boasted about his own unique expertise—earning a degree and becoming the world's first Muay Thai Ph.D.—and the trainees listened bleary-eyed with suppressed yawns and tears practically spilling from their eyes.