Chapter Twelve

"I want a redo." I tell him, folding my arms. It's been a week since we got here, and Thomas still won't tell me what that dinner was supposed to be on our first night. He gets a pained look whenever I ask but no amount of prodding will make him tell me.

"A dinner redo?" He asks as he stands by the stove, making us lunch in his swimming trunks, still a little wet from his swim.

"If you won't tell me, show me." I almost demand. "You should've woken me; it obviously meant a lot to you."

"Hannah." He sighs, shaking his head. "I don't think that's a good idea. It's a sweet one. But I can't."

"Then tell me, please." I groan, laying back on the sofa with a pout. "It makes me ache, not knowing."

"It was dinner, cooked by one of the best chefs in the country. He was going to cook for us in here and we'd eat out there, on the deck. Then we'd take a walk out to the beach, and we'd experience the water together." He says, making me swallow. It was on our third night when I was first awake to see it. The sea of stars. The water here glows as it crashes up onto the sand. Thomas and I spend at least an hour out there every night to enjoy it.

"Thomas." I whisper.

"It shouldn't have happened. So I'm glad I didn't wake you." He says, plating up the food. "It's too romantic." He explains, putting the food in front of me with a fork. I frown softly and I hold the bowl close as I watch him step outside to eat, and I slowly start to eat in here. Alone.

I think Thomas has been struggling with the amount of time we have to spend together here. We get so close naturally, and then he pulls away and is cold and distant. So far I've just been waiting for things to settle, and we can have a day or two where things are fun and playful, before he snaps, and I get hit with the emotional whiplash again.

"Are you still going to the main island later?" I ask, taking Thomas's empty bowl.

"Yes." He says dryly. "I'll be back late." He adds as I step back into the house. I just wash up for us, and wait inside with a book, trying hard to read it as Thomas eventually comes back in and he gets changed into normal clothes. He puts cologne on, and he wears his nice clothes, fancy clothes. He looks delicious as he comes down. He can't even look at me though.

"You aren't bringing anyone back here are you?" I ask.

"What?" He asks.

"You look... date worthy." I tell him and look back down at my book.

"Hannah I told you I want to be faithful." He says, but there's no emotion behind it. "No I am not bringing anyone back here and no I am not going on a date or back to someone else's bedroom."

"Well then, I hope you have a good time." I say as he opens the door, checking his pockets. "You can have the bed tonight by the way."

"No." He says. "It's yours Hannah."

"Well, I don't plan on using it so, if I'm not in it, help yourself." I tell him. He just nods and gets out, getting picked up on a golf cart.

I wait about twenty minutes, then I go upstairs, packing my things for a few days. Thomas clearly needs space but is too courteous to ask for it, so I'll give it to him whether he asks for it or not.

I call reception and I ask if the other villa is still free. Once I find out it is, I give them my card information and organise a cart to take me over. They need time to set up the house, but I am welcomed in within an hour, an identical villa just on the other side of the island. I can't even see Thomas's from here.

I unpack a little, getting in my white bikini, and I get in the pool with a bottle of champagne I brought from the other villa. I get drunk on it. But I don't let it make me sleepy. I stay in the pool, hanging off the deep end as the sun sets. From this pool, I can see the beach along the side of this villa. And I can watch the waves crash and glow peacefully.