Chapter Twenty-Two

"Visiting time is over." Teddy says. I hold Hannah's hand tighter and shake my head, kissing the back of it. I've put her rings back on and I kiss them, hoping she opens her eyes. She's off the ventilator, breathing well on her own, but I need more.

"No, she hasn't woken up yet." I say.

"You heard Damien." Teddy says. "It might take another day. She was malnourished and sleep deprived before the accident. It plays a part."

"No, she hasn't woken up yet." I repeat, standing to kiss her forehead, brushing her hair back. It's been washed, thankfully, and is back to being so soft. "You can wake up, Hannah." I whisper. "It's safe. I'll keep you safe, remember?"

"Thomas." Teddy says softly. Her tone making me frown.

"Shh." I frown at her.

"You think she'll want to wake up with you here?" She asks and folds her arms. "You did everything in your power to crush her spirit you ass."

"You don't know what was happening between us." I tell her firmly.

"You two." A nurse scolds. "Argue outside of my ward or you'll both be banned." She warns ferociously. I kiss Hannah again and Teddy and I stomp out.

"I can and will fire you if you don't leave me alone. I love her. I will be here for her." I tell Teddy firmly.

"You were cheating on her." She says like I am an idiot. "Why don't you fire the person you were cheating on her with instead of the person who was actually there for your wife while you made her so unhappy she basically only went home when forced." She spits and storms off. To be fair, she has a point.

I convene the board and a couple lawyers as well as the head of HR. We meet in the board room at the top floor, and I pick at the grain of the wood on the table as I wait for everyone to arrive.

"Thomas, my sweet boy, you shouldn't be working." My mum says, last to join us. "How's Hannah?" She asks.

"Off the vent. Still not awake." I say and look down. "I called you all here because I need to fire Eva Vegas." I tell them.

"On what grounds?" One of the lawyers asks.

"I have been seeing her, sleeping with her since boxing day." I tell her, too tired to make it sound better. "No proper grounds, I know. But she has to go."

"Thomas." My mum sighs with disappointment. "No." She whispers.

"She is out of this hospital as soon as possible." I say firmly. "How do we make it happen?"

We settle on a huge severance package. Basically offering her whatever she wants to go. At least they deem it unethical of me to make the call. I just sit in as the head of HR makes the call. She leaves if we give her a lump sum of one year of pay. And I nod, letting them take it from my own salary. I get a flash of pride, that I made it happen quickly, and as the board room empties, I block Eva everywhere I can on my phone.

"Thomas." My mum says, reaching over, stroking my hair like Hannah used to. "What happened? I assume Hannah was actually telling the truth when she said those things last month. About not wanting kids."

"It's complicated." I tell her.

"I have all day." She says and I look at her, seeing my mum for the first time in years. Not drunk, not grief-stricken, she's actually my mum right now. I really need her; I need my mum right now.

"I lied, when I said I was seeing someone in London." I tell her, my eyes watering. "So when you told me you'd give me a hospital if I got married, I asked her, because she was my best friend. And I loved her like a best friend."