Chapter 25

El

Max, Sam and I walked into Indiana Airport's carpark, where Max's father had left his rental truck.

"Ready to go back to Hawkins?" he asked us and Max shrugged.

"You know...when this is all sorted out, you and El can always come stay with me," he suggested with a smile.

"I know," was all Max said in response.

The three of us piled into the car, readying ourselves for the near two hour drive.

Max sat in the back with me, explaining with excitement who sings what song and why Kate Bush is a complete musical goddess.

I watched her talk, my eyes finding themselves on her lips more often than not.

"This song is a masterpiece," she told me, handing me the headphones attached to her Walkman.

It was melodic, and the lyrics reminded me very much of how I felt toward Max.

"Oh to be in love

And never get out again"

"I know what that feels like." I murmured quietly to myself.

"So do I." whispered Max.

I looked over at her and slid the headphones off, handing them back to her.

She placed her head on my shoulder and I did the same, the two of us resting on the other for the remainder of the trip.

Familiar roads and buildings spun into view and soon enough we passed the faded 'Welcome To Hawkins' sign. (A/N: Why did I think 'Welcome To The Hellmouth' when I wrote that lmao 😭 Not exactly far off 😭)

"Welcome To Hawkins." Max said, irony dripping from her words.

I laughed.

The car's tyres crunched through the forest's leaves, pulling up to just in front of the house.

I smiled.

We were home.

The three of us walked up to the front door, Max and I hand in hand.

"Ready?" Max asked and I nodded, opening the door to a darkened house.

"Dad?" I called, but there was no response.

"Maybe he's out," Sam suggested and I nodded.

But when I turned to close the door, a huge chorus of voice shouted;

"WELCOME HOME!"

 Max shrieked as we whipped around to face Hopper, Joyce, Nancy, Robin and the boys.

And a brightly decorated cabin that we could now view in the light.

I giggled.

"Hi,"

Hopper walked forward to hug me, pulling Max into the embrace as well.

"Welcome home kiddo."

He straightened up when he notice Sam behind us.

"You're Sam?" he asked and Sam nodded.

"Sam Mayfield, Max's biological father. Pleasure to meet you."

Hopper nodded, shaking his hand.

"Likewise. I'm Jim Hopper, Hawkins Chief Of Police."

Max and I walked around to greet the others properly, while Joyce, Hopper and Sam discussed.

Mike smiled at me.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi." I deadpanned.

Max grabbed my hand and Mike glared at her.

"Why are you holding my girlfriend's hand?" he demanded, jealousy shrouding his words.

"She isn't your girlfriend!" Nancy, Will and Max chorused.

Mike stared at them before turning back to face me.

"I wanted to say that I'm sorry. For everything. I shouldn't have lied about Nana. I shouldn't have treated you like I did. I'm really sorry El. And so...I guess that I was also kind of wondering whether you would...consider being my girlfriend again?"

My heart tightened.

"You're right. You shouldn't have. But its okay. Thank you...for the apology I mean." I said, not answering the final question.

"So..." Mike spoke and Max rolled her eyes beside me.

I sighed, staring down at the ground and then at my hand that was grasping Max's.

"I'm sorry, Mike. But...there's... someone else."

The room was silent for a moment.

"Someone else?" Mike echoed.

I nodded slowly, not looking at him.

"Who is he?" Mike demanded.

He. Not a he. A she.

"Is he someone from California? What's his name?"

"Mike." Nancy warned from where she stood behind him and Max sighed, finally relenting from his endless string of questions.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

And the worst part was, I wasn't even sure if it was true.

(A/N: Oooohhhhh- Mike's got questions- will El answer them? What's gonna happennnnnnnn? hehehehehe- Sorry I know it's short but I hope you guys liked this chapter! Stay safe and totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one! xx)