Chapter 17

El

The pool was loud and I found myself nearly clinging to Max in shock as I watched people splash and dive in and out of the clear water.

"What do you think?" Max asked and I stared around me.

"Wow," I breathed and she laughed.

"Come on! What are you waiting for?"

Grabbing my arm she pulled me toward the water, a mischievous grin on her face.

The tension from this morning wasn't exactly gone, but it had dissipated.

A little.

It shouldn't be this awkward, it shouldn't.

But neither of us were even sure what had happened last night, and we were both too afraid to talk of it.

We stopped at a row of white lounge chairs and Max dumped the bag down on one of them.

"Ready?" she asked, taking off the shorts and t-shirt.

I wasn't.

I was terrified.

"Hey, its okay. I'm going to be here the entire time. I promise."

I smiled weakly, before taking off my own shorts and t-shirt.

"Let's do it," I said, hoping the fear wasn't audible in my words.

Max grinned.

"Tubular."

We burst out laughing, the awkwardness evaporating for the first time that morning.

Then, Max held out her hand and I took it, walking with her to the water's edge.

There was a set of stairs leading down into the pool and Max stepped onto the first one.

"Its okay. One step at a time. Close your eyes if you want, I wont let you fall."

I looked at her, fear buzzing through my brain.

"Promise?"

She smiled.

"Promise."

I smiled back, following her down the steps, one at a time.

Then, I reached the bottom.

"You did it!" Max cried, grinning from ear to ear and I grinned too.

I had done it.

Slowly, I waded through the water that was packed with other pool visitors, Max close behind me.

And then a sudden wave of water splashed over my head, drenching my hair that now hung over my eyes.

I whipped around, unable to see. I could hear Max laughing hysterically and when I finally pushed the hair from my eyes, another wave came splashing toward me.

"Max!" I exclaimed and she giggled.

I laughed too, pushing water back against her.

Max ducked under water and I gasped.

She cackled as she reappeared, laughing at my shocked expression.

"Wanna go under?" she asked me and I widened my eyes.

"Under the water?" I asked and she nodded, wading forward to take my hand.

"Come on, I'll show you how."

I nodded slowly, taking her outstretched hand.

"Okay, so you've got to breathe in and then just dunk yourself under. Don't stay down for too long though, its dangerous."

I nodded, scared as she counted down from five.

"Three, two, one."

I followed her under the crystal water, my hand grasped tightly to hers.

It was like the bathtub, but different. I was afraid, but not entirely. The water stung my eyes as I came back up and Max noticed.

"Wait a minute, I'll go get the goggles." She told me, racing back up the stairs and toward where our bag sat on the chair.

Moments later she was walking down the stairs toward me, holding two pairs of brightly coloured glasses.

"What are they?" I asked and Max smirked.

"Goggles." She said, handing me a pair.

I took it, staring at the colourful rubber in confusion.

Max laughed.

"You put it on your head- over your eyes. Like this," she said, helping me to place them on my head.

"Thanks..." I said.

Then, I was pulled sharply underwater by Max, who turned to grin at me.

I stared back at her in shock, before realising that I could see her and everything under the water with perfect clarity.

Slowly, I resurfaced, followed by Max not a second later.

"Well?" she asked laughing.

I laughed too, unsure of what to say.

"Its cool." I said, giggling and she smiled broadly.

"Wait until you see the beach."

(A/N: Omg heyyyyyy! So so so sorry for how late this update was, I was out shopping with my bestie who's also a fanfic writer :) Anyway- I hope you liked this chapter and omggg we are getting so close to...well I don't wanna spoil anything but...squeeeee! Stay safe and totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one xx)