Chapter 23

(A/N: Sorry for the double POV this chapter I accidentally wrote it this way so just go with it lol sorry)

El

Holding my breath, I braced myself for the drop.

Max squeezed my hand tightly.

"Ready?" she cried over the noise of the ride.

"No!" I called back.

And then we were plunged through the air at top speed.

I finally knew what it felt like to drop on a rollercoaster and if I was perfectly honest, I could live without the experience.

The ride came to a stop and I panted for breath, jumping off almost the moment the light turned green.

"What next?" Max asked.

The sun was already setting, signalling the beginning of my final night in California.

"Its sunset," I replied. (A/N: Yes this is a reference. Major shoutout to @mayfields_zoomer for their awesome writing. We all miss you xx)

Max looked at me.

"Yeah...?" she spoke, confused.

Then her gaze softened as she realised, taking my hand.

"Come on," she murmured, and we started off toward 'it's a small world', stars already dotted across the evening sky.

Finally we reached the ride, a queue of only a few other people waiting to get on the boats.

People moved around us to step off and we exchanged a small smile as we stepped onto an empty boat.

When we were all seated, the boats took off, sending us gracefully through the water.

My hand stayed interlocked with Max's as the music played, dolls sung and we travelled through the room.

"El?" she spoke.

"Yes?"

"Did you mean it? What you said earlier, I mean?"

"That we were dating?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Yes. If you want to."

Max smiled widely, happiness in her crystal blue eyes.

"El...I want nothing more than to be your girlfriend."

I grinned softly.

"Me too."

And then, we kissed.

My hands ran through her wild red hair, hers placed on my cheeks, tracing shapes into the warmth of my skin.

Our lips met perfectly, parting so that I could trace my tongue along her bottom lip, causing her to smile.

I loved her.

I loved her so much.

In all the time I had spent with her, there was only one word I had to describe her.

The word that people say is only reserved for those who are 'beautiful'; tall, lean women with hourglass figures. Women who have husbands and boyfriends who are businessmen or football players.

Perfect.

Max was none of that. She was average height, with a medium-sized figure. She didn't have a boyfriend, she had a girlfriend. 

Me.

But she was still beautiful.

And she was perfect.

"Promise it will always be like this?" she asked as our boats floated out of the tunnel at last.

"I promise." I replied.

And, under the shadow of Cinderella's castle, just like the previous night, we kissed again.

...

Max

We were packed into the car at an early hour of the morning for our trip back to LAX.

El was asleep, her head lolled onto my shoulder and I sat, my legs squashed uncomfortably up against my chest due to the mess of items that surrounded the back seats, listening to music on my beat-up Walkman.

But you can only have so many awkward conversations with your middle-aged father and hear only so much Kate Bush and Madonna until it starts to become highly irritating.

The car finally rolled through the terminals and into the parking lot.

"El," I said, nudging her awake.

"Heh?" she grunted, sitting up slowly, her new Mickey Mouse ears askew on top of her head.

I smiled.

"We're here."

Together the three of us walked through the airport to the luggage check, where we placed our now bulging bags onto the conveyerbelt.

It was safe to say that this trip had been an interesting one. Who knew so much could happen over the course of a week?

Our flight wasn't due for another few hours so after collecting our bags, El and I wandered the airport's shops looking for souvenirs for the others.

"Mike," El said suddenly.

"What about him?" I asked.

El's face had turned pale, and she turned to look at me in fear.

"He doesn't know. None of them do."

I sighed and placed the silly ornament I was holding back onto the plastic shelf I had taken it from.

"I know. But we don't have to tell them straight away." I said in attempt to comfort her.

El shook her head.

"Hopper. He should know."

I could sense the fear in her voice. I wasn't sure if he was homophobic, and by the looks of it she wasn't either.

I grabbed her hand.

"Hey, its okay. I'll be there the whole time, you know that right?"

She smiled weakly.

"Thank you."

I smiled before picking up an ugly-looking 'snow' globe with a misshapen row of palm trees inside it.

"Hey what about this for Mike?" I asked her laughing.

El looked over and slapped me playfully on the arm.

"I should still be nice," she said and I rolled my eyes.

"Why? You dumped his a*s, don't be nice."

She laughed slightly.

"Don't be jealous," she countered.

I grinned.

"Touché, El, touché."

"Tou...ché?" she asked, confused.

I giggled.

"It's French." 

(A/N: Heyyyyyyyy- What do you think?!?!?!? I know the POV is super awkward but oh well haha. Hope you guys liked it either wayyyy :) Elmax is finally happening! Told you to expect the unexpected lmaoooo- Not much is happening in my life if you couldn't tell 🤣 Hope you guys are well :) Stay safe and totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one xx)