Chapter 6

Max

(A/N: For those who were wondering, the flag I used for this is the sapphic/wlw flag!)

Tw: Slurs

Sh!t.

The feeling I had earlier was growing stronger, no longer hesitant in nature.

It grasped my heart so tightly, it was hard to breathe.

El's arm was on my stomach, her head turned to face me as she slept, eyes fluttering behind their lids.

Though we weren't supposed to arrive back in California for another hour or so, I couldn't sleep.

A thousand and one thoughts were flying through my head at a rapid pace and they all screamed the same word.

And that word was a name.

El.

I was tired but not with the urge to sleep, with the urge to hold her hand, and touch her beautiful skin and run my hand through her wavy hair.

And to kiss her smooth, cupid bow lips.

A tear slid down my face for the second time that day.

All along, Neil had been right.

All the insults he had thrown at my stepbrother and I.

All the words, all the hatred.

Everything that I had been so convinced he was wrong about, he wasn't.

At least not about this.

When he called me a dyk3, I hadn't gotten upset, not more than I usually did, because he was wrong.

But he wasn't.

Here I was, a girl's hand strewn across my flat stomach, staring at her beautiful eyes.

In love.

The way she laughed, the way she smiled, her childish sentence structure.

It was all so perfect.

It was all so opposite to me.

My short temper, my sarcasm, my tendency to become defensive, was nothing like El's sweet innocence.

But sometimes opposites attract.

And even though it was obvious that the attraction was only on my side, it was still there.

She was so beautiful.

I was scared, terrified. What was I supposed to do? I was on a plane to California where I was supposed to spend the next who knew how long with El, the girl I now suddenly had feelings for.

That was the definition of recipe for disaster. The plane shook slightly with turbulence and El's eyes shot open.

"Max." she said, looking up at me.

"Yeah. What's wrong?" I asked, worried.

She sat up slightly, hastily removing her arm from my stomach, her cheeks turning a rosy shade of red.

"Where are we?" she asked.

Staring at her, confused.

"On a plane?"

El shook her head.

"No. How far until we get there?"

"Oh," I replied. "I'm not sure. I think we're flying over Nevada now."

El gazed at me sleepily.

"Ne...vada?" she asked and I laughed slightly.

"Yeah. It's a state." I explained.

"Oh." El blushed, embarrassed.

"Hey, its fine. Who cares about stupid states?" I stuttered, nervous as she smiled up at me.

She giggled softly.

"What's California like?" she asked suddenly.

I was thrown off guard by her question and hesitated for a moment.

"It's sunny. Always hot, nothing like stupid Hawkins."

El laughed.

"Yeah, stupid." She agreed.

"Were you born in Hawkins?" I asked tentatively, unsure of anything to do with her past.

El shook her head, looking out the window, across me.

"Where were you born?"

She glanced at me sadly and didn't speak for a moment.

"Sorry. I shouldn't ha-"

"Five-one-five." She spoke, interrupting my apology.

"I'm sorry?"

"Where I was born. Five one five."

Oh, I thought, completely unsure of what she was telling me.

"But I don't remember it. The bad men took me."

I sighed.

"Do you...remember the lab?" I asked, curious.

She nodded, looking back at me.

"Yes."

I stared deeply into her dark eyes. I didn't really want to know, I was afraid of the awful things that had occurred to her in the lab but I desperately wanted to hear her voice and have a reason to look at her.

"What...happened?"

She exhaled slowly.

"They hurt me. He hurt me. Papa."

I feared the story I knew she had.

"What did they do to you, El?"

(A/N: Hellooooo again! Sorry about the cliffhanger ending again haha- Hope you enjoyed this chapter, Max has FINALLY realised a) she's into girls (which is the best thing you can realise imao hehe 🏳️‍🌈🤣) and b) that she's in love with El!!! So yeah, very eventful elmax chapter hehe. I can't wait to see you all next week! Until then, stay totally tubular and I'll see you in the next one xx)