CHAPTER 15

-INEJ P.O.V-

They assembled once again in the suite's sitting room. At Nina's request, Colm had ordered another stack of waffles and a bowl of strawberries and cream. A mirror covered most of the suite's far wall, and Matthias could not stop his gaze from straying to it.

He claimed it was like looking into another reality. Jesper had slipped off his boots and was seated on the carpet, knees tucked up to his chest, casting furtive glances at Wylan, who had settled on the couch and seemed to be deliberately ignoring him. Inej had heard from Bhagya that Y/N told her that Jesper kissed Kuwei thinking he was Wylan, thus the tension.

Inej perched on the windowsill, her head. Kuwei had wedged himself into the crook of the settee, one of his notebooks open beside him, and Kaz sat in a high-backed purple chair, his bad leg propped on the low table, cane leaning against his thigh.

He'd somehow seen to the torn sleeve of his shirt. Nina was curled up next to Matthias on the couch, her head resting on his shoulder, her feet tucked beneath her, fingers stained with strawberry juice.

It was Colm's solid presence that transformed the image in the mirror. He made the people in the reflection seem less dangerous, as if they weren't the team that had broken into the Ice Court and bested the Fjerdan military with little more than their wits and nerve, only a bunch of children worn out after a particularly brutal birthday party.

"All right," said Nina, licking strawberry juice from her fingers. "When you say an auction, you don't actually mean-"

"Kuwei is going to sell himself."

"Are you mad?" Y/N snapped.

"I'd probably be happier if I was," said Kaz. He rested one gloved hand

on his cane. "Any Kerch citizen and any free citizen who travels to Kerch

has the right to sell his own indenture. It isn't just the law, it's trade, and there's nothing more holy in Kerch. Kuwei Yul-Bo has the sacred right-as sanctioned by Ghezen, god of industry and commerce-to submit his life to the will of the market. He can offer his service at auction."

"You want him to sell himself to the highest bidder?" Inej said incredulously.

"To our highest bidder. We're going to fix the outcome so Kuwei gets his

fondest wish-a life sipping tea from a samovar in Ravka."

"My father will never allow it," said Wylan.

"Van Eck will be powerless to stop it. The auction of an indenture is protected by the highest laws in the city-secular and religious. Once

Kuwei declares his contract open, no one can stop the auction until bidding has closed."

Nina was shaking her head. "If we announce an auction, the Shu will know exactly when and where to find him."

"This is not Ravka," said Kaz. "This is Kerch. Trade is sacred, protected by law. The Merchant Council are duty bound to make sure an auction proceeds without interference. The stadwatch will be out in force, and the auction statutes demand that the Council of Tides provide their assistance too. The Merchant Council, the stadwatch , the Tides-all required to protect Kuwei."

Kuwei set his notebook down. "The Shu may still have parem and Fabrikators."

"That's right," said Jesper. "If that's true, they can make all the gold they want. There would be no way to outbid them."

"That's assuming they have Fabrikators in the city already. Van Eck has done us the courtesy of blockading the harbor."

"Even so-"