CHAPTER 8

I couldn't find the right emojis for Jes

- JESPER P.O.V -

Jesper stared at Wylan.

"Of course you're a Councilman's kid." He burst out laughing. "That explains everything."

He knew he should be angry at Kaz for holding back yet another vital piece of information, but right now, he was just enjoying watching the little revelation of Wylan Van Eck's identity go careening around the room like an ornery colt kicking up dust.

Wylan was red faced and mortified.

Nina looked stunned and irritated.

The Fjerdan just seemed confused.

Kaz appeared utterly pleased with
himself.

Y/N sighed heavily and walked up to the burning red Wylan and wrapped him in her arms, wiping the smirk off Kaz's face.

Jesper ignored the sting of jealousy.

Would be look at me like that of I hugged that novice ?

And, of course, Inej and Bhagya didn't look remotely surprised. They'd always gathered Kaz's secrets and kept them as well.

Jesper tried to ignore the pang of
jealousy he felt at that.

Wylan's mouth opened and closed, his throat working. "You knew?" he asked Kaz miserably.

Kaz leaned back in his chair, one knee bent, his bad leg stretched out before him.

"Why do you think I've been keeping you around ?"

"I'm good at demo."

"You're passable at demo. Like Inej said, Raske is better. But, You're excellent at hostage."

That was cruel, but that was Kaz. And the Barrel was a far rougher teacher than Kaz could ever be.

At least this explained why Kaz had been coddling Wylan and sending jobs his way.

"It doesn't matter," said Jesper. "We should still take Raske and leave
this baby merch on lockdown in Ketterdam."

"I don't trust Raske."

"And you trust Wylan Van Eck?" Jesper said incredulously.

"Wylan doesn't know enough people to cause us real trouble."

"Don't I have some say in this?" complained Wylan. "I'm sitting right
here."

Kaz raised a brow. "Ever had your pocket picked, Wylan?"

"I ... not that I know of."

"Been mugged in an alley?"

"No."

"Hung over the side of a bridge with your head in the canal?"

Wylan blinked. "No, but-"

"Ever been beaten until you can't walk?"