CHAPTER 2

-🐺MATTHIAS P.O.V🐺-

Matthias kept to the shadows, watching this strange scene unfold infront of him.

Smeet tipped, losing his footing, hat sliding from his nearly bald head.

A young girl gasped in shock, frame suggesting her embarrassment, her hair held back by a clip falling free over her shoulders.

The boy who beside her stepped forward, offering assistance to Cornelius Smeet.

The boy was Kaz, but he was not Kaz.

His dark hair was mussed, his
manner flustered.

He kept his eyes averted, his chin tucked into his collar as if hopelessly embarrassed—a green youth, respectful of his elders.

The girl was Bhagya, but it was so hard to believe.

Her confidence had somehow vanished as apologies spewed from her mouth, her eyes were averted as she helped pull the lawyer up.

The Shu boy was Wylan, hovering behind her, shrunken so deeply into his coat Matthias thought he
might actually disappear.

“Watch where you’re going!” Smeet huffed indignantly, resettling the hat
on his head.

“Terribly sorry, sir,” Kaz said, brushing the shoulders of Smeet’s jacket.

“Curse my sister’s clumsiness!” He glared at Bhagya.

“Sister?” Smeet mused.

Kaz grinned the widest grin Matthias had ever saw him adorn.

“Yes.” Kaz nodded sheepisly.

“Oh dear, I think you dropped your wallet.” Bhagya bent down to the cobblestones.

“So I did!” said Smeet in surprise. “Thank you. Thank you very, very much lass.”

Then, as Matthias watched in disbelief, Smeet opened his billfold and drew out a crisp ten-kruge bill.

“There you are, my lady. Pays to be honest. Go get yourself something nice.” Smeet grimaced at Bhagya’s tattered dress.

Bhagya kept her head down, accepting the crisp bill.

Kaz somehow managed to mumbled  a humble appreciation, something Matthais never expected, as he murmured, “Too kind, sir. Too kind. May Ghezen be as generous.”

Wylan nodded frantically.

“Who is this lad?” asked Smeet.

“My brother.” replies Kaz.

Smeet cast the trio a gobsmacked look.

“Strange family.” grumbled the portly  lawyer as he went on his way, re-adjusting his hat, humming a little tune, oblivious to the fact that he’d just run directly into the card dealer who had sat across from him in Club Cumulus, and the Shu boy who’d waited his tables, for two hours.

Smeet arrived at his door and pulled a chain from his shirt, then frantically patted his waistcoat, searching for his whistle.

“You didn’t put it on the chain?” asked Matthias as Kaz and the others joined him in the dark doorway.