CHAPTER 5

🧇NINA P.O.V🧇

Matthias and Kaz returned from the university, with holes in their clothes, probably from some kind of bomb Wylan had made, Jesper and Wylan in tow.

And  close on their tails was a wide-eyed a beefy Kaelish-looking farmer.

Nina felt like she’d been given some kind of lovely gift from the Saints, a situation mad and baffling enough to actually distract her from craving for the Parem.

Though the hunger for parem had dulled since last night’s frenzy, Smeet’s job and Kaz’s schemes.

Bhagya has gotten over it. Or she was somehow suppression it under her overwhelming emotions.

But for Nina, it was still there, and she had no idea how she was going to get through the mission tonight.

Seducing Smeet had only been the first part of their plan.

Kaz was counting on her, Inej was counting on her.

And most importantly Y/N was counting on her.

They needed her to be a
Corporalnik, not an addict with the shakes who wore herself out with the barest bit of tailoring.

Bhagya was going to be their eyes. She wouldn’t stick around to help.

Nina couldn’t stop looking at Colm Fahey.

He looked almost nothing like Jesper.

At first glance, you could say he was Kaelish— his vibrant, dark red hair and that pale-white skin, dusted with freckles, the classic Kaelish trademark.

He had alot of freckles. It looked as if, as if they were powered sugar on a cake.

And though his eyes were the same gray as Jesper’s, they had a kind of sure warmth, unlike Jesper’s which glimmered with mischief.

It wasn’t only the trickling problem of trying to find Jesper in his father’s features that kept Nina’s attention focused on the older man.

There was just something which felt wrong about seeing a person that wholesome standing in an empty mausoleum surrounded by Ketterdam’s most feared criminals—unbeknownst to him, his son among them.

Nina shivered and drew the old horse blanket she’d been using as a wrap
more tightly around her.

She’d began trying distracting herself with her life in good days and bad days, and this was definately a very, very bad day.

Maybe it was because of  the job with Smeet, or just Kaz acting as slappable as ever.

She couldn’t afford to let it get the best of her, not when they were
this close to rescuing her best friends.

Be all right , Nina willed silently, hoping her thoughts would not pry to something worse, while thinking about the speeding waters of the Ketterdam harbors.

And may her prayers reach her friends, or the saints.

Saints, keep them safe and whole and have them wait for me, for us. For the crows.

Nina hadn’t been with the other crows at Vellgeluk when Van Eck had taken the pair hostage.

She regretted it deeply.

But as of now, Nina couldn’t think about any of that with Colm Fahey standing there mangling his hat.

  Jesper looked like he’d rather
be eating a stack of waffles topped with ground glass and poisoned whipped cream than look at the man who was his father.