CHAPTER 14

-JESPER P.O.V-

Jesper checked on Y/N every morning and every night.

The idea that the ambush on the docks might simply be the end of her had shaken him.

Despite Nina's efforts, he'd been fairly sure the Reaper wasn't long for
this world.

But one morning, Jesper arrived to find Y/N sitting up, clothed in breeches, quilted vest, and hooded tunic.

Nina was bent over, struggling to get the girl's feet into strange rubber-soled slippers, like the ones Inej and Bhagya wore.

"Y/N!" Jesper crowed. "You're not dead!"

She smiled faintly. "No more than anyone."

"If you're spouting depressing Suli and or Shu wisdom, then you must be feeling better."

"Don't just stand there," Nina groused.

"Help me get these things on her feet."

"If you would just let me-" Y/N began.
"Do not bend," Nina snapped. "Do not leap. Do not move abruptly. If you don't promise to take it easy, I'll slow your heart and keep you in a coma until I can be sure you've recovered fully. And absolutely no using your powers until you've fully healed."

"Nina Zenik, as soon as I figure out where you've put my axes, we're
going to have words."

"The first ones had better be 'Thank you, oh great Nina, for dedicating every waking moment of this miserable journey to saving my sorry life.' "

Jesper expected Y/N to laugh and was startled when she took Nina's face between her hands and said, "Thank you for keeping me in this world when fate seemed determined to drag me to the next. I owe you a life debt."

Nina blushed deeply. "I was teasing, Y/N."

She paused. "I think we've
both had enough of debts."

"This is one I'm glad to bear."

"Okay, okay. When we're back in Ketterdam, take me out for waffles."

Now Y/N did laugh. She dropped her hands and appeared to speculate.

"Dessert for a life? I'm not sure that seems equitable."

"I expect really good waffles."

"I know just the place," said Jesper. "They have this apple syrup-"

"You're not invited, girls only. We're taking Inej and Bhagya." Nina said. "Now come help me get her standing."

"I can stand on my own," Y/N grumbled as she slid off the table and rose to her feet.

"Humour me."

With a sigh, Y/N gripped the arm that Jesper offered, and they made
their way out of the cabin and up to the deck, Nina trailing behind them.

"This is foolishness," Y/N said. "I'm fine."

"You are," replied Jesper, "but I may keel over at any moment, so pay attention."