31 - Meeting

Ralph

I was starting to hate my SWAT work with every blaring of the alarm. I didn't want to leave Ali alone, but I had no other choice. When I got to the lockers in the Police station, where my gear was stashed, all of my team was already halfway done.

"Hey, Ralph, glad to see you managed to join us. How was the little vacation at home?"

"Good, strange... something in between."

"How was Ali?"

"Better than I imagined. She was shocked when she saw she had a niece, but other than that, it was a smooth meet."

"She didn't know about her niece? Why didn't you tell her? " Cleo looked shocked at me.

"Because I know her. If she knew, she was going to want to see her... before she was mentally ready for that meet. I know it wasn't fair to keep this from her, but it was for the better. Luckily, she wasn't angry about it, so there's that."

"Man, I don't think there's something you can do, and she won't forgive you about it. She's such a kind soul and so hung up on up."

"Yeah, she's quite amazing."

"Now quit it, boys, we have work to do." Just when Max was ready to give us the brief for the situation we were called for, another alarmed blared from our phones. This one – to tell us the call was dismissed and they don't need us anymore.

"Great. They couldn't do it sooner."

"You had someplace to be, Cleo?"

"A lot of places." The smirk on his face was enough of an indicator that these places were somehow connected with women. He was such a horny little bastard I don't even know how he managed to do it.

"Since we are already gathered here, I have some news to share with all of you." The tone Max used instantly made everyone in the room stop in their track and look at him.

"What you have, boss?"

"We have some new information in connection with Ali's case." That made me even more interested. I was wondering since Akerman died what was going to happen, but I guess someone continued to work, and now we had a lead.

"And what's that?"

"We have an intel for a new auction." Fuck! That was not the news I was expecting. "We know the place and the time. It's tonight at eleven o'clock. The Chief and I came to the same conclusion. We need a man inside." Shit. This sounded like something that could go wrong in 50 different ways.

"And who would that be?" I couldn't even come up with one name from the men in the station who could pull up this kind of game. With such short notice, the chance of calling for someone from another town was close to impossible.

"Me." Everyone froze in their sports.

"You must be fucking kidding me!" Luke was the first to say what everyone from the team thought of this plan. "This is a bullshit!"

"Luke, we both know how crucial it is to stop this network. We finally have a way to get inside. I don't know when else we'll have this same chance, and I'm not wasting it."

"But you are not un undercover cop? What if someone recognizes you? What if you meet someone you gave a speeding ticket. Disaster is written all over this thing." I was on the same page with Luke. It was way too dangerous. Did I wanted it do end – fuck yes. But I didn't want to sacrifice Max in order to do it.

"Everyone from the byers is going to be with a mask."

"Say what?"

"You heard me. I guess they are really trying to do everything in their power to hide their identities since we busted a few places. So, these masks are giving me the best opportunity to get there and not be recognized."