13 - Small victories

Ralph

I knew it was risky, and I knew that she wasn't very happy about it, but I couldn't let her be so sacred, I needed to help her fight her demons one at a time. She needed to have her blood tested, so it was something we needed to do quickly. I just hoped that it wasn't the wrong decision. I sent a quick text message to Ollie, our team's EMT guy, and hoped he was free. A minute later, he said he's on his way to my house. I loved this team.

Half an hour later, Ollie was on my front door.

"Hey, man, thanks for coming on such short notice."

"Not a problem. Where's the patient."

"In the living room. I just... let's try it easily. She's not sure how she'll react, she doesn't like others' touch, so... yeah, be careful with her, but be careful with yourself, too."

"I've got it, don't worry. I'm ready to get my butt kicked, but she'll be safe. Promise."

"Okay, let's go." We went inside and found Ali hunched over her sketchbook, drawing something I couldn't see from my place. "Ali? Ollie is here. He's my teammate from the SWAT team."

"Oh, umm, hi."

"Hi there. I heard you'll need some blood testing, and I so happened to be the best in the region of taking samples, so you ready to try it?"

"The best, huh?" It was obvious that Ali was scared, but I was glad that she wasn't letting her fear beat her... At least not for now.

"Pfff, you'll see. Won't feel a thing. I'll be super incognito."

"Just... I'm sorry if I try to hurt in any way."

"Not gonna happen, Ali. I'm here, and Ollie is very good in deflecting punches, so it's all safe."

"Hey, man, when you have 3 sisters, you kind of learn the hard way to be quick and deflect all kinds of stuff. They could be very vicious sometimes, especially when it's that time of the month..."

"So, you are a pro, huh?"

"You bet I am. Now, let's try this. How do you prefer we do it?"

"I... don't know." The panic was starting to rise in Ali, and I didn't like it one bit.

"You are okay with me touching you, right?" I had an idea, and I hoped it'll work.

"Yeah."

"Do you want to see what he'll be doing?"

"Umm, no. I've never been a big fan of needles."

"Okay. So, how about you sit in my lap, I'm going to hold you, you can hug me or something and just give your hand to Ollie to get your blood. Do you think this will be okay?"

"We can try, but I don't want to..."

"Yeah, yeah, we know. Don't worry, we are big boys, and we will survive if something happens."

"Ollie, you think you'll be able to do your magic like that?"

"Of course, I told you – I'm the best." We all got ready for the special operation. I sat on one of the kitchen stools and Ali straddle me, she buried her face in my neck and held out her left hand in Ollie's direction, and with her right one, tried to hug me as closer as her cast was letting her. He put his gloves, got the needle and the blood collection tube, and a cotton ball with some cleaning liquid to clean her skin first.

"Everyone ready?" He got everything ready on his end, but haven't touched her yet.

"As ready as I can be." Ali squeezed me harder. I knew it was hard for her, but I knew she could do it. I squeezed her back, holding her as close as possible to me.

"Go on, Ollie. Do your magic." I watched his quick movements. He lightly grabbed her bellow the elbow. I felt her whole body becoming rigid, but she didn't say I think, so I nod the Ollie to continue. He quickly cleaned the spot he was going to use, then very carefully put the needle in a vein and took the needed blood. Then, put a clean cotton ball on the puncture and signalized me to hold it in place.

"All done. See, nothing happened. I have all my limbs in their places, plus your blood."

"Well, I guess you were right. You are magical..."

"You know it, girl." He then quickly grabbed all his stuff and was ready to go. "I have a friend in a lab that'll take the blood and test it without a problem that she didn't take it herself. I'll give you the info once it's ready."

"Thank you, man. It means a lot to me." We were at the front door already. Ali stayed in the house, and I was alone with Ollie.

"Not a problem. As I said, I have sisters, I'll wasn't someone to be kind to them..."

"Yeah, I got you." He quickly left, and I went in search of Ali. She was in the kitchen, taking a beer from the fridge.

"You want one?" I didn't even wait for my answer. She took the two bottles and passed them to me. I opened them and took a big sip from mine.

"See, it went well with Ollie."

"Yeah, I guess..."

"You guess?"

"Well, it went well, but... does it mean that I'm okay with other people's touches or not? Was I okay because you were there or because it was Ollie and he was your teammate and I know that you won't put me in harm's way and you trust him and he has sisters, so he knows how to act and..." She was overthinking it, like she was doing it back in the days. She just couldn't enjoy it if something happened like it was planned. She had to dissect it and try to understand why it really happened like it was supposed to do and not fail like other things. Her mind was always working at high speed, and it was always my goal to make her stop thinking so much. With time, I got pretty good with it, I hoped I still had it in me. There was one special thing that always did the work, but I knew it was too soon for it, so I needed another path.

"Hey, Ali?" She abruptly stopped her ranting and looked at me.

"Yeah?"

"Whatever it was, it worked, right?"

"I...yeah...but..."

"Not buts. It worked. If we have other opportunities, we will try and see if you'll be fine with him touching you without holding to me... or we could try with my other teammates. I'm sure everyone will agree to be a test guineapig and make sure you feel fine and not treated in any way. You'll be in control of everything, okay?" I wanted her to feel safe. And I wanted her to take her life back. And to do so, she needed a safe environment. I was absolutely sure that everyone on the team was going to help with the task, I just had to convince Ali.

"I don't want them to think..."

"Ali. They won't think anything other than what I strong warrior you are by taking the bull by the horns." Her face drastically changed when the last words left my mouth. I tried to think what it could be the reason, but I couldn't find one. "What did I say?"

"Umm, nothi..."

"Ali?" My voice did leave her any room to argue.

"One of the lieutenants, his name was Bull."

"Shit. Okay, I'll guess I won't be using that comparison anymore."

"No, I..."

"Ali?"

"Yeah?"

"Shut it. If something is making you feel uncomfortable, you tell me, okay. I need to know your triggers, or I'll just wonder what happened or what I did wrong. Okay? I need you to talk with me, so I know this stuff and with time we'll beat them one by one."

"Okay."

"Good. You finished your beer?" She nodded her. "Good. Now, let's get you in bed. It was a long day and an even longer night, and you still haven't slept since the hospital." I throwed the empty bottles in their bin and took her hand, leading her to my bedroom. "You've got everything you need?"

"Yeah..." I went to take a pillow and some sheets I'll need for the couch when her words stopped me. "You are staying, right?"

***Well, Ali sure knows how to surprise Ralph all the time? Will he stay or decide it's too soon for her?