11 - Unwanted surprise

Ralph

"Ralph, the alarm in your place was activated a few minutes ago." We were just finishing with our reports for the SWAT call when the dispatcher called me.

"Was it deactivated?" I knew I told Ali the codes, but maybe she forgot them. It was kind of a last-minute thing.

"Yeah, but after 5 minutes." Hmm, that was strange, I know I told her she had to be quicker.

"Which code was used?"

"The normal one, not the one for help, but a patrol car will make a check to be sure everything is okay."

"No need. I'm going home right now and will check what happened. Then I'll call to report it."

"Sounds good to me." And the dispatcher ended the call.

"What's going on?" Cleo was closer to me, and I'm sure he heard most of my conversation.

"Ali took more time to deactivate the alarm, I need to go now to check on her."

"I'm coming with you."

"No need, Cleo. I'm sure everything is fine."

"It's on my way. C'mon...let's go." He didn't even wait for me. He went outside, got on his bike, and took off. I tried to keep up with him in my car, but he was way too quick in the traffic on his bike.

When I got home, I felt something was wrong, but I wasn't sure what. Cleo was already in my house, front door wide open from him. There was this weight in my stomach, making it hard to make the steps and check what was happening inside. Up until that point I really thought that everything was okay, I lived in a safe neighborhood, no one officially knew Ali was with me, except my team and the detective on the case, or at least that's what I thought. But now, sitting in my car, scared to get out... I saw how stupid it was for me to think that. What if something happened with her again, because I was stupid? I was feeling sick thinking about what I'll find.

I got out of my car and went inside the house, ready to meet with the consequences of my insane actions. I expected to find the house empty. Someone took Ali away from me again, and Cleo was checking the rooms to be sure of it. Or she was fatally wounded, and there was no need to rush stuff. What I didn't expected to find was Ali beating the shit out of some man, that was lying on the floor with blood pouring from his face and Cleo just staying on the side and watching the show.

"Your girl has a mean left hook." I was still shocked from the image that was in front of me that I didn't hear him at first.

"Um, what's going on?"

"No idea, but she was beating this dude since I got here. She looks really angry... and I'm pretty sure I heard some bone cracking." Looking at the man I could see that, his nose was at a strange angle, blood pouring from it...he was trying to protect his body by taking a fetus position, but Ali was determined to hurt him and was pummeling his head with blow after blow staying on her knees by his side.

"You...fucking...bastard!" She was screaming all kinds of incoherent words with each punch. When she was tired with the one hand punches, she stood up and started kicking his body, and that was the moment I got to my senses and went to grab her and move her away. At first, she didn't know it was me. She swung her hand, ready to strike my head, but I was expecting it, so I deflected her punch.

"Easy, tiger, it's me." With hearing my voice...all the fight in her left her body. She fully relaxed in my arms; her body started shaking from the adrenalin she was going on for who knew how long. "Shh, everything is fine. You are safe. I've got you." She turned around and buried her face into my neck, her tears soaked my shirt.