Chapter 26

*Beval Hernandez's POV:*

No dread has ever overcame me like the one I was experiencing at that given moment. I felt helpless, which is a feeling I am very familiar with. But I also felt responsible. I felt like it was my fault that we were in this situation. I felt like I deserved everything that was coming to me and everything that did come to me. I was still terribly sore from my beating. A busted lip, a black eye, bruises and tenderness around my torso.

Why was I so stupid? Why did I help convinced the others to change their minds and trust Alex? And because of me, we ended up in the same situation we were in exactly five and a half  years ago. Getting betrayed by Mina was my fault, but so was being betrayed by Alex. I was too trusting and here we were, being guided in a line into a prison. One by one. The line went on forever, but I was right after Gaia.

"Full name?", a female FEMA officer with a business iPad asked in a demanding voice.

"Beval Garcia-Hernandez", I responded, not making eye contact with the lady, but at her shiny black boots that looked like they could stomp someone out.

"Age?", she asks again in the same tone.

"I'm twenty".

"Birthdate?", she asked again.

"June 10th, 2004".

She looked at me for the first time. "Ethnic background?"

"Hispanic, Mexican".

"Look forward ahead at the camera so we can take your picture."

For the first time in a while, I looked up at the world in front of me, well, that world included another FEMA officer carrying a black camera a few feet from my face. The bright flash blinded me, causing me to squint and groan as black spots appeared in my eyesight.

Another officer pointed their gun at me, making sure I wasn't going to make any sudden movements.

As much as I wanted to, I wasn't that stupid. I wasn't ready to die just yet. I wanted to lengthen my life as much as possible regardless of the death sentence. For my parents, for Isabella, for my friends, for Gaia.

I grunted in pain as I felt my tender arm being stretched behind me, only to have a steel bracelet placed around the wrist.

"For tracking purposes," the female FEMA officer explained with a flirty tone.

I ignored her as I took a deep breath. The officer with the gun pushed me from behind, signaling for me to make my way from the sally port's entrance following the line into the prison itself.

A square-shaped sally port surrounded the prison, barb wire covering the top.  The actual prison itself was at the center. It wasn't a big nor a small prison.  It could easily contain a few hundred people.

I shivered as I followed the line. It was at least thirty degrees there. The line spread out in between people, for the lady at the entrance took her time getting information about us. Gaia was ten feet ahead of me. Officers with semi-automatic guns in their hands scowled at us, watching the line from each side, but also from above, at the top corners of the sally port, watching every part of the prison. It was clear, there was no escaping this. We didn't have the military experience of Shimizu or the intelligence of Danny to do this.

I didn't want to have any regrets for this last bit of time I would be alive. I didn't know how much time we had. All I knew was that I wanted to spend as much time with those I loved.

"Gaia!", I called out. She turned her head back towards me. I walked faster, catching up to her. Because of the handcuffs I couldn't hold her, but I did kiss her lips. "In case we die after this, I love you".