Chapter 27 - ''In your heart, you know it's not right.''

Zuko had to leave Katara to attend to his Fire Lord duties. He was hesitant to do so but Chan dragged his ass out of her room. The Captain offered his own company instead but the waterbender wanted to be alone.

Even if she knew Aang would come looking for her soon. Chan personally has informed him that Katara returned to her chamber for a bath. According to the guard, he was not entirely happy about it. Especially since the news came from another male.

Katara used little time she had wash off the blood after she's healed herself. As she put on a white, satin robe, she realized no sign of what Aang did to her was left on her body.

As if nothing ever happened.

Once upon a time, all she ever wanted was to protect the Avatar. Believing he could save the world. End the war that lasted for a hundred years.

She still sheltered him. His feelings, mostly. His reputation. After all, he was still her friend. 

She also did it for all these people who needed to believe that this Master of Four Elements was their savior.

The peace was so fragile, they all had to trust he was the answer.

Katara knew it was bullshit. The recent events reassured her of it. How could she take it away from the world though? This idea of a man child being their protector? As long as it helped them sleep at night, keeping them safe? She would do this. Endure all of it. 

The alternative was Aang would not only probably kill Zuko, but he would do damage greater than that. 

With the Avatar's power, his rage was ten times worse than average bender's. 

She truly believed he would destroy the world. 

Katara decided. 

She would sacrifice herself, her happiness, for all the nations. 

...........................................

As Katara suspected, Aang came to her room in the evening. He brought a whole tray of food and various drinks with him.

Smiling sheepishly, she ushered him in as he put the tray it all on the bed.

''How are you feeling?'' he asked.

The Avatar slowly surveyed her body. Still in her robe, she her cheeks heated. Aang's eyes sparkled once he did not spot any of her wounds from the morning's argument.

Katara grabbed the strawberry from the tray. ''I'm fine,'' she shrugged. ''The fever's passed.''

''I'm glad,'' Aang smiled. He watched her carefully as if he expected her to have a breakdown any second now. 

''Thanks.''

Katara shoved another fruit in her mouth. 

Aang cleared his throat. She glanced him over. He was rubbing the back of his neck. ''There's another thing I'd like to talk to you about.''

''What?'' she raised her eyebrows. 

Her heart already beating faster, she observed a shadow passing through his face. 

''I really do not want to argue over this,'' Aang remarked bitterly. ''But I feel like I got to say something about it.''

''About what?'' 

He glared at her for a moment longer. She was growing anxious. Praying to the Spirits they don't put her through another tantrum of his today. 

''I've heard about your fight with one of the guards,'' her eyes widened. Damn it, she didn't think it would go back to him! ''How a man three times bigger than you suddenly found himself at loss of control over his own body.''