19.

The bracing saline air penetrated my lungs with both pain and exhilaration as the vessel I stood upon swayed rhythmically against the undulating waves. Positioned at the bow, I ensconced myself within a fur garment, seeking warmth against the biting chill that reddened my fingers from the icy gusts. Gradually, my gaze lowered, inviting the biting winds to needle my skin. Yet, the sensation of departing the land that harboured and nurtured me, leaving behind my lifelong residence, brought a refreshing sense of renewal. Since my earliest recollections, I had never ventured beyond the confines of the village, always tethered to its proximity, never straying far from the haven of home.

"Adelaide?" a resonant English voice resonated from behind, easily discernible. I refrained from turning toward Xander, emitting only a soft hum in response.

Xander's embracing warmth was a welcome surprise as his arms encircled my waist, his breath brushing against my ear while tenderly uttering my name once more. Leaning into his embrace, I felt the comforting warmth, choosing not to retreat indoors from the ship.

There, together, our bodies intertwined as one, finding solace in each other's presence. Serenaded by the rhythmic crashing of the waves and ensconced in Xander's unwavering embrace, we surrendered to the soothing cadence of the sea. The saline tang in the air invigorated us, fostering contentment within our shared embrace. The ocean's melody, akin to music, tranquillized us, while Xander's encompassing arms provided both safety and solace. Amidst a whirlwind of thoughts and unanswered queries, a fleeting moment of tranquillity enveloped us.

"What did your bite do to me?" I inquired feebly, sensing a subtle tension in Xander's response. As he lowered the fur, his lips traced the spot where he had bitten me, sending a shiver down my spine with each gentle caress. His warm breath on my skin, coupled with the radiating warmth of his body, rendered his touch a soothing balm, coaxing my worries and fears to dissipate. Lost in the moment, I closed my eyes, savouring his touch and pondering the depths of its potential effects.

"Do you feel that?" his husky voice murmured against my skin, eliciting a subdued affirmation from me.

"A forced mark can be reversed by a genuine beloved, but the bite signifies our bond. Your consent to the mark signifies your commitment to our bond and to me," Xander elucidated softly, his lips brushing the bite, sending electric waves through my body.

"I didn't intend to do it so prematurely, especially when you hadn't comprehended everything yet..." Xander's whispered apology hinted at a darker tone, yet his subsequent words, "But that mutt left me no choice; I couldn't leave you in that agony," reflected his underlying remorse.

"I apologize," I murmured, sensing a shift in our atmosphere, yet my words seemed to incite Xander's ire as his grip tightened. Swiftly, he turned me to face him, his eyes ablaze with a blend of fury and ardour. His hands cradled my face, his gaze probing, searching for something elusive, while his eyes fluctuated from hazel to crimson.

"Never apologize for his actions. You did naught but place trust in one who was deemed your confidant."

Nodding vacantly, my gaze inadvertently shifted to his lips, my heart racing as the tension between us thickened. His hands ascended to cup my face, his touch eliciting a fervent anticipation. Proximity enveloped us as his lips drew near, and just as I awaited the moment of their union...

...he withdrew.

A pang of rejection gripped my chest as I felt our potential connection dissolve, my heart aching, and disappointment tautening my body. Struggling to contain my emotions, I suppressed the tears welling within, desperately striving to maintain composure. Observing Xander gazing into the ocean, his eyes reflecting a pain akin to mine, I acknowledged the irreparable moment. "Go inside. It's too cold for you out here", he muttered with a cold tone giving me a harsh wave of pain in my throat. Heavy-hearted, I slowly departed, tears threatening to spill.