4.

Warm blankets surrounded my body as I pushed my head deeper into the feather-filled pillows. Beautiful scents wrapped around me pushing me further into a sense of peace as I slowly opened my refreshed eyes, gazing around the unknown room. It was like my head had been screwed back on. Realizing I was not in a familiar location made me jump out of bed. The small bedroom was sparsely decorated with only a single-sized bed and a nightstand. The walls were painted a light blue colour and the floor was covered with light brown carpet. The bed was covered with a white duvet and a few colourful pillows, making it look cosy and inviting.

But the smells, the smell of spices and pine swirled around in twos making my head spin. As I looked down, I was still dressed in my long grey dress; however, my shoes and coat were gone. I looked at the door, eyeing the handle and wondering what to do. Everything inside my head was screaming danger, but it felt as if a curtain was placed over my thoughts pushing fear out of my head.

My derringer was in my coat, leaving me bare of the safety it had provided me with. But I could not stay in here forever, not with the promise I had made to myself. So, with a shaking hand, I grabbed the cold door handle and took a breath.

As I yanked the door open quickly, we met...

Our eyes locked together, and it was as if time itself had stopped.

He was handsome, with dirty blonde hair that fell perfectly across his forehead and bright hazel eyes that seemed to sparkle in the light. He stood at 6'4, tall and strong, with broad shoulders and an air of confidence about him. His skin was smooth and pale, and his clothes fit him perfectly. He looked at me with a hint of curiosity in his eyes, and I could feel my heart racing. His face was angular with high cheekbones, a strong jawline, and a gentle nose. He had a full mouth with a slight smile that was permanently etched on his face. His light brown hair was cut short and was styled in a way that made it look like he had just come out of the salon.

It felt like our souls were connected in an invisible tether like we were two pieces of a puzzle that had finally found each other. Our eyes locked and we were both spellbound, understanding that we had a connection that was deeper than anything we had ever experienced before. His presence was calming and comforting, and I felt a sense of peace and security as he looked at me.

But that makes no sense.

I slammed the door back, before throwing myself against it as I heard deep voices begin to talk back and forth. But I could not focus on the words, only on my fast-beating heart against my chest. I kept asking myself what the bloody hell was wrong with me, what were these feelings that entered my chest so powerfully about these two men.

"Addy?", I heard the muffled voice of the Norwegian making the memories of last night resurface and making me sigh; my head resting against the door.

"Where the hell am I?", I ask loudly trying to push away any feelings that I felt when I heard him say my name. At this point, it was getting ridiculous. There had to be something wrong with me, it was grief? The grief was making me loopy and lose my blood head.

Maybe.

"Ms. Marten's, her bed and breakfast? You passed out in my arms last night, I did not know where else to bring you Elskling", Knox stated loudly as if his head was pressed against mine on the other side of the door. But his words made my heart flutter, he had lifted me here and kept me safe for the night. He was just being kind, but what man is truly this kind without a favour?

"What do you want then?", I asked more harshly than I wanted but I did not know this man or his friend. They were strangers and as much as I did not want to listen to Mattew; he was right. They were not from here, nor known to anyone. I had to be cautious and throw this naivety out before I was seriously hurt. Push through these false feelings and stay on track, I had work to do, and I did not need these thoughts in my way.

"Nothing. Just for you to come out and eat. When was the last time you had eaten?", Knox had asked me through the door making me sigh lowly.

"I truly have no clue", I answered bitterly. Food was not my priority lately, the thought of it made me sick.

"Come on out, Xander had run to the bakery this morning.", my ears perk up at the name almost discarding everything I had just thought but I shake my head internally.

"I have to leave", I mutter. I had already wasted daylight, and I needed to check on Finn. I do not even know if he survived the attack, and I needed answers from him if he could give them.

"After you've eaten darling", a dark English voice spoke now sending shivers down my spine and making me choke on my words in silence. The deep English voice had a velvety, smooth quality that sent a wave of warmth through my body. It was both gentle and commanding, and the sound of it made my heart flutter with anticipation.

"Fine", I mutter quietly. 

___________________

Thoughts on the chapter?

Thoughts on the new man that came to Scotland with Knox?

Should Adelaide be mad at Knox for bringing her to the bed and breakfast? 

If you enjoyed the chapter, please leave a comment or vote to help the story reach more readers like you!