Guilt

2019 Winter break

Verstappen's POV:

In the morning, I was woken up by sunlight streaming through the car window. Charles was still sleeping peacefully. He was completely on top of me, as the space was small, so I hugged him when I fell asleep so that he wouldn't fall down and woke up like the same. As we were covered together and almost all of us touched, I realized that I needed this. I can't lose him but I didn't know what to do. I saw his Instagram because I usually look at it and I know that he has a girlfriend, so I felt it was wrong that we slept like that and also about what I feel. That's when Charles opened his eyes and as he turned his head his lips brushed mine. He quickly pulled his head back and tried to get up.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to, it was just an inchident" -he said and I laughed

"Nothing, just an inChident" -I said and now we both laughed

We got up and moved on. I was very quiet because I wanted to be with him, but it hurt me to have such thoughts when he has a girlfriend. Charles also noticed that something was wrong and that the silence was too great. As he navigated, I went there and suddenly I felt his hand on my thigh.

"Max, is everything ok?" -he asked worriedly

I felt that there were too many thoughts in my head and I couldn't follow what he was saying.

"Max?" -he called out my name

I didn't know what to do. I wanted to stand aside, but by doing so I showed him that I was weak, and I didn't want that. I was also tired because I didn't sleep well, and I felt that I couldn't take it anymore. A tear rolled down my face.

"Please, park aside. Just a little break." -he said and I did as he asked

As soon as I stopped, Charles got out and came over to my side, opened the door and hugged me. His arms wrapped around me and I started sobbing.

"Nothing wrong. I'm here. Please calm down, everything is fine." -he said in a low voice and rubbed my back softly

I slowly started to calm down and Charles kissed my cheek. I felt butterflys in my stomach but I knew it was wrong.

"Would you like to talk about it...?" -he asked and I hasitated a bit but after a min I decided that it will be the best solution

"It hurts that we slept together and I'm so direct with you, cause I know you have a girlfriend." -I said and he pulled back a bit just to look me in the eyes

"Can you keep a seceret?" -he asked and I nodded- "She is not my real girlfriend, we are just pretending for the media..." -he finished his sentance

"Wait really?" -I asked

"Really. I'm not very proud of it but yeah. So don't feel guilty." -he said and faked a smile- "I'd like us to take turns driving." -he said and caressed my arms

"But I don't want to" -I said but I felt really exhausted

"Then just get a little rest, please. Just one hour." -he almost begged

"Okay..." -I whispered and got out of the car

I went around and sat in the passenger seat, and Charles stroked my hand all the way.

"Try to sleep a bit" -he said and I closed my eyes

Unfortunately, I couldn't fall asleep, so I became the navigator. He insisted that I just rest, but I wanted to help. The navigation went horribly wrong and we only reached our destination at 11pm and picked up the box and we only had 9.5 hours to get back, which seemed impossible to complete.

I saw that Charles was also very tired and he had been driving all day, so I didn't want him to drive the rest of the way. I trust him, I just wanted to help.

"Let's switch" -I said and he parked aside

We changed places and it started to rain. It was a mistake to go any further in the pitch black. This is not the racetrack. It hurts to admit it, but I drive a normal car like crap, especially in these conditions. I looked at the clock and it was 4 am. We only had a few hours left, so I went faster, taking a very big risk.

"You should slow down a bit..." -Charles spoke after a very very very long silence

"I can drive LeClerc" -I said angryly

"I didn't say you couldn't, just that you could slow down" -he said and yawned

We were both very tired and I have blood sugar problems that Charles doesn't know about. I always eat ice cream between midnight and 2am and drink RedBull all day so I don't usually have a problem, but I haven't drunk or eaten anything high in sugar for more than 24 hours and I've been feeling worse and worse.

"I feel really bad" -I said and everything went dark

LeClerc's POV:

Max fainted and the car started drifting at that moment. I quickly got to the steeringwheel, but it was too late. We crashed into a tree and I put my hand in front of Max to protect him and then I felt something hit it very hard and it hurt terribly. It's not broken because I can move it, but it might be cracked. I tried to wake Max up. We had to get out.

"Everything will be fine, just wake up please." -I said to him and I cryed out loudly- "MAX WAKE UP!!!" -and I broke down completly

He had a pulse but I knew I had to call for help. I got out of the car to look for signal strength on my phone, but there was none. My right arm hurt a lot, but in this case I just wanted to help Max. I could barely breathe when I heard a loud cough. I ran to him.

"Charles" -he said in a very low voice

"Please don't move, everything will be fine, I'll call for help and everything will be fine, I promise." -I said and the tears came from my eyes

An ambulance came after about 15 minutes and we went to the nearest hospital. Max and I were taken to a separate examination, and after a long examination, the doctor found that my right arm was cracked, but nothing else was wrong. I didn't even wait for him to finish, I asked where Max was and he said that he was still being examinated, but so far nothing good. I ran into the room that the doctor told me and passed the nurses who didn't want to let me in and I saw Max lying on the bed with an infusion. I cried and the doctor said that he was in a coma but he could wake up at any time, 1-2 days at the most. It hurt terribly to see him like this. I was scared. I didn't want to lose him. I've already lost a lot of people and he's left, he's a member of my family, I can't lose him. The doctor went out and I sat on his bed and hugged him, sobbing. I screamed and cried. I was terribly afraid of losing him or what if he wouldn't be the same as he was when he wakes up. What if he won't remember anything, me?