23

𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶

          𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶.
          𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗮 𝗿𝗼𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗲𝘇

I glanced at the time on my phone and sighed. Cross was over ten minutes late to meet me for lunch at the restaurant in Lower Manhattan where he had first taken me to for my birthday.

Frankly, I was shaking with anticipation with my leg bouncing beneath the table. My hands were clammy and my heart seemed to race at the mere thought of sitting down with him after so long, not to mention, having to tell him.

There was dread as well as the little stupid part of me that was excited. The stupid girl inside of me that still missed Cross, despite everything that had happened.

I looked up from my lap and finally noticed him walk into the restaurant. I felt relief come over me as he made his way over to our table but of course at the same time, I was ridden with anxiety.

"Cross, hi," I breathed, standing up from the table allowing him to embrace me. His strong arms wrapped around my body and he kissed my cheek politely before we took our seats.

"You changed yo' hair," Were his first words as he took me in.

After visiting my go-to hair salon in Miami, I'd decided to go for a completely different look. I had gotten highlights, cut my hair into layers and had gotten a blowout. It was a mature look — I didn't know what I was trying to prove with this.

Perhaps, unconsciously trying to prove or at least look like I was mature and wise enough to make my own decisions.

"You like it?" I chuckled nervously and hopefully. He couldn't see that I was playing with my fingers beneath the table.

"Fa'sho. You like glowing and shit. It's different. You look beautiful."

I blushed and looked down in my lap, muttering a little thank you. I wasn't sure whether I was glowing because of my Mexican tan or my four month pregnancy.

"You always looked mad grown for yo' age. Now you looking grown for real," Cross added, continuing to take me in under his scrutiny. "My bad fo' being late. I got caught up in some shit."

"No, it's okay. Ten minutes ain't nothing."

He chuckled. "Fuck you so nervous for, Lo?" He said reaching across the table and grabbing my hand suddenly. "You staring in yo' lap and shit. You acting like you'on even know me."

I chuckled, finally looking up. "I'm sorry, you're right. It just feels weird being around you again, you know? Feels different." I guess I was just waiting for some ice to melt.

"That's probably cuz' things are different. I'm glad you wanted to have lunch wit' me. Gon' keep it a buck, I missed having you around me, Lo. I gotta lot to tell you."

"Me too. Let's order, then we can talk."

Just in time, a waitress walked over and we ordered quickly. I already knew what I wanted because I had already looked over the menu three times in the time that Cross was late. He was quick to order probably because he was used to coming here. I didn't even want to begin to speculate whether he brought other females here as well as me.