six.

Iris Rhodes

I am shitting myself.

I'm terrified to meet his kids; I'm certainly not ready. I know I could have stayed back and settled into my room, but this is inevitable, I'd rather meet them now and give a good impression than hide away.

I follow Nathan back downstairs, and as soon as we turn the corner, he's engulfed in a hug by one of his kids, "Hey, Addie, you missed me?"

"Of course not," she mumbles and I laugh at her response, which causes her to look up at me and separate from her father, "Are you Iris?"

"Yeah, I am, it's nice to meet you," I say, smiling as I take in her personality. She's wearing dungarees, and a long-sleeved yellow top, and her hair is in braids.

"You're very pretty, I like your hair!" she giggles, and then turns to her dad, "Daddy, I want hair like Iris'."

He laughs, "When you're a bit older, we'll talk about changing your hair colour, kiddo."

She runs off towards the sitting room where the television is showing children's programmes, and we follow her over. Immediately when Nova sees him, she drops her toy and stumbles over, arms out, wanting her dad, which causes my heart to ache. She's still only a baby, cuddled into her dad; he's all she's ever known.

"Elise, Laura; this is Iris," Nathan introduces me to his eldest daughter and sister.

"It's lovely to meet you, Iris; my brother has told me a lot about you," Laura smiles, but my gut swarms with uneasiness. She's his sister, I am irrationally jealous of someone I made up in my head. I am also slightly concerned as to what he has told her; he doesn't even know me that much, the most he knows is what I look and sound like naked in bed.

"Iris, will you bake with me? My dad is mean and never lets me," Elise says, and I look over at Nathan.

"I can bake-"

"No, I need to start on dinner soon-"

"See!" Elise exclaims, pointing at him, before sticking out her bottom lip, "Please?"

"An hour tops," he points back at her, and she squeals, "An hour, Elise, you can bake one thing."

"Okay, okay, we'll bake brownies then."

He really does have these kids wrapped around his little finger.

"Novie, can you wave?" Nathan whispers down to the little girl lying on his shoulder. She gently lifts, peeks at me and gently waves before quickly cuddling further into her dad.

Laura heads out, needing to get back home, but tells me she'll stay longer next time. As soon as the door shuts, Elise's little hand takes mine and leads me into the kitchen, ready to bake.

"Remember Elise, no touching anything sharp-"

"Hot and heavy; I know, Dad," she nods; she's so smart for her age.

"Okay, well done. And are you sure, Iris?"

"Brownies sound amazing," I say, in support of Elise. Honestly, the thought of eating a brownie right now makes me a little nauseous, but that's between me and Bump.

It starts with just me and Elise in the kitchen, mixing all the ingredients, but then Addie joins so she can help lick the spoon and soon enough Nova stumbles in with Nathan following her.

"She got bored without you girls, is it ready to go in yet?"

"You impatient already?" I joke, looking over at him and he playfully rolls his eyes, "But yes; the oven is preheating, I just need some little hands to help pour and it'll be ready to bake."