8 - A Bad Feeling

It has been over a week since Luz and Amity moved in with Gwen, Dell, and Lilith Clawthorne. They have made themselves comfortable in Eda's old room and even though Luz was happy to spend more time with her family she could not have ignored the fact that her girlfriend was still having trouble adjusting to the changes. Not only did the new living situation seem shocking but also the fact that everyone was so supportive of the lavender-haired witch.

Even with the rant Eda offered them Luz could feel that Amity was still feeling like a burden, not worthy of their support. She was often experiencing nightmares she never wanted to talk about afterward. The human hoped to help but she knew all too well that sometimes only space and patience help. Some things needed to be sorted by Amity herself.

Emira helped by getting in touch with a Healer specializing in difficult and traumatic experiences. They were coming over twice a week for lengthy sessions. Luz had no idea what they were talking about but she noticed that after their sessions Amity was more distraught. The witch was just sitting in their room, watching the view from the open window while she sat on the windowsill, cut off from the world, deep in her thoughts.

"Sweet Flea, you need to be patient," Gwendolyn said with concern when she noticed how Luz was worried for the young Blight. They sat on the porch in front of the Clawthorne's house "When Eda hurt Grandpa Dell he too went through a similar process." She recalled as she sat next to her granddaughter "It hurt me to see how he was hurting but often when we reach our lowest point we are open to the greatest change." She added and hugged the human with her strong arms.

"I know, Grandma..." Luz said sadly "I just feel so helpless and useless. I just want to be there for her. I feel responsible for what happened to her..."

"Luz Clawthorne!" Lilith showed up out of nowhere interrupting her niece in a serious, cold manner. "You are not responsible for the pain Odalia inflicted on that poor witchling!" She scolded her niece but Luz could not hear her. All the human could think about was the fact that Lilith was back which meant she may have had some news regarding Philip's whereabouts.

"Did you find him?" Luz asked with hope, ignoring her aunt's words. Gwen let the youngest Clawthorn go from her hug while Lilith looked away toward the forest.

"I'm sorry, Luz. It's as if he really vanished." Lilith said with defeat taking a seat next to the human. "I don't know where else to look. I can't ask for any more Scouts but we have searched all major cities and suburbs. It would seem as if he left the Boiling Isles or decided to live in the wild." She explained and felt defeated. It has been over a week and there were no results. It ached her on the physical level to be such a failure in an attempt to get this fugitive captured.

"Ugh!" Luz exclaimed in defeat "I just keep having this bad feeling! As if something's about to go down!" She explained, letting her head down.

Little did the Clawthornes know that they were sitting right under the window where Amity was lost in the view of the forest surrounding the house. She heard the conversation they all had and could not help but cry when she realized some people really cared about her. They were not just pretending in front of her. They talked about caring about and for her when she was not around. Luz was talking about the way she cared about her. It was not a lie, not a ruse. And yet the only thing she could think of was how big of a burden she was to the people who actually took her in. Amity did not want to think where she would be if not for Luz. She was so kind, good, and generous. She fought for her, showed her a better life, freed her, and now she took care of her, letting her into her life, and her family.

"Always so positive, always so kind..." Amity smiled at the thought of her girlfriend. She promised herself she would try to be a little bit more like Luz. Not letting her past experience affect her, trying to look with hope into the future. But then again she felt a sting of guilt. They were close only once and then everything got... complicated. "I haven't even kissed her since..."