Chapter 20

I awoke to the feel of Morgan's arms wrapped tightly over my naked waist. I let my eyes flutter open and heard the rhythm of his breathing change as I moved in his hold. He yawned and stretched his left arm over his head. He brought it back down, elbowing me right in the nose.

"Ow, what the fuck," I muttered, barely awake. I brought my hand to my nose in a poor attempt to ease the striking pain.

"I'm so sorry, oh my God!" Morgan said, panicking as he put both his hands on my shoulders and shook my frame slightly. "Are you okay?"

I registered the concern reflecting in his irises before I felt the warm, thick, scarlet liquid dripping in heavy droplets on our white bedsheets.

"Shit," I let out, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed and bolting towards the bathroom to avoid staining every piece of fabric in the room.

Morgan followed suit, tailing me down the hallway.

"Baby, I didn't mean to-"

"I know," I interrupted.

"Let me at least clean you up, I-"

"Daddy!" Ellie yelled, her footfalls heavy on the hardwood floor. She ran down the hall and into Morgan's arms.

"Hey, sweetheart," he said softly, picking her up and putting her little legs around his hip.

"Is mommy okay?" She asked, the concern growing on her features.

"I'm fine, baby," I assured her. "Go with daddy. He'll make you breakfast."

****

The wheels of the pick up truck swerved slightly on the slimy roads before making their way back within the lines of the lane.

"Sorry," Morgan muttered.

I gave him a faint smile and took his hand into mine.

"Thank you for agreeing to do this," I said. "I know things aren't evolving the way you wanted them to, but-"

"It's fine," he let out dryly. "I don't wanna talk about it."

The rest of the way to the district attorney's office was spent in silence, with plenty of time for me to reflect on the recent event. I knew Morgan didn't want to give a statement, and I had agreed that if we couldn't do it while ensuring our privacy and that of our kids be respected, we wouldn't do it at all. But I truly hoped things would work out.

Officer White had been adamant that by talking to the prosecutor, we would be able to have our concerns heard and taken into consideration. He had said that she was the best possible person to help us. Morgan didn't even want to entertain the idea of talking to her, but -a couple of favors later- he was here; driving us through the rain into the electric zoo that was downtown Nashville to talk to the woman. Alexis Grant.

"Promise me that if she tries to convince us to testify without a closed hearing you'll say no," Morgan broke the silence, his eyes begging me to be on his side.

I remained silent, pondering what he had just said.

"Aubrey," he pressed. I let out a sigh.

"Fine," I muttered.

"Please, make it sound like you mean it."

"I don't know what to tell you, Morgan. I agree that our privacy should be protected, but I want him behind bars. We don't know the lengths he's willing to go to. We don't know what he did to Josh and-"

"I'm not gonna cry over Josh. Regardless of what happened to him."

"And I'm not asking you to," I continued. "But you have to admit that he could be a lot more dangerous than what we told the police. You can't lose focus of that."