Chapter Thirteen~

Maddie POV~

No one knows what Sophie is doing, but she sure is doing it. First she sauntered up to Tedros during lunch while we were standing in the Evers line, my boyfriend telling me a joke as I giggle, his face going slightly red as he tries to finish it without laughing.

Out of nowhere Sophie comes out of nowhere, pushing me aside and trying to snuggle up to Tedros who only moved towards me, checking I'd I was okay as Everboys around us start to chomp on mint leaves, which I scrunch my nose at, mint having never smelt nice to me.

-

She of course tried later on in the day during Surviving Fairy Tales, though Beatrix and Chaddick had decided to stick to us like glue, glaring at the girl who had caused all of us pain and misfortune in the past couple of weeks.

This of course caused Sophie to run back to Agatha, the girl not used to people glaring at her, usually because she doesn't notice of because she believes they're glaring at Agatha who is usually beside her.

Sophie finally gathered up the courage to speak to Tedros, saddling up right next to us, pushing through Chaddick who was on the otherside of Tedros, the two chatting as Beatrix and I talk to one another about our classes and who we think is going to rank top 10, placing bets on who would get in the top 10.

"Tedros, can I talk to you?" Sophie blurted finally. "Why would he talk to you?" Beatrix asked, crossing her arms as we all stopped at her voice.

"Because we're friends, you buzzing gnat!" Beatrix, Chaddick and I exchanged disbelieving looks.

"Friends!" Tedros flared. "I've seen how you treat your friends. Use them. Betray them. Call them fat. Call them liars. Appreciate the offer. I'll pass."

"Attacking. Betraying. Lying. Sounds like one of our Nevers is using her rules!" Yuba beamed, Sophie skulking off, as I frown at the reminder of what happened earlier in the week.

—- —- —- —- —-

Eventually things started to get worse, especially when the weeklong challenge in Henchmen Training and Animal Communication came around. Both schools were assigned creature sidekicks, which followed us wherever we went.

At first, it was chaos, as the henchmen wanted to do their own thing, as the Nevers trolls kept throwing them out of windows stealing lunch baskets baby dragons began to set desks on fire and animals began, umm, christening the good halls with mountains if dung.

"It's a tradition. An attempt at school unity," Professor Dovey said to us Evers, clothespin on her nose. "However misguided and poorly organized." Most of us trying not to breathe at this point with the horrible smells assaulting us in every room, though my baby dragon just kept nuzzling me wherever I went, staying calm and collected unless Sophie or Agatha tried to talk to me, taking after Tedros who glared at them.

And everything started to calm down after three days, baby ogres being potty trained and throwing spitballs at Evers, on the Nevers orders of course. Tedros got his wolfhound to stop chewing up his clothes and to growl at both Agatha and Sophie, though he was a sweetheart whenever I was near, snuggling up in my lap or chasing after Ellie (my dragon) who gladly flew around in circles for the wolfhound.

Beatrix bunny even stopped pooping all over the floors in our room and instead hopped outside whenever she needed to go. Surprisingly even Agatha had gotten through the task of teaching her ostrich, though she did teach it to steal the candy on the walls without teachers noticing.

Though everything started to go wrong in Yubas class, as he taught us "Uses of Wells," Sophie's Cupid started to shoot arrows at me half way through the lesson, and I just barely ducked behind the Forest well just in time. Yelping as Tedros pulled out his training sword and started to deflect the arrows being shot at me. "CALL THAT THING OFF!" Tedros yelled at Sophie who blanched at what was going on.

"Grimm! She's my friend!" Sophie shouted, and I frown, 'so it's not okay when someone else attacks me, but when she does it it's completely fine?' I think to myself before shaking me head, carefully coming out from behind the wall as the Cupid tucks his arrows away, and I sigh in relief my friends crowding me to check if I got hit or anything, which luckily I didn't.

-

Everything was okay on day 5, day 6 was when it started up again. Grimm, as I found out the Cupid was named, began shooting arrows at me once more, one scratching my arm, which began to bleed heavily, Beatrix taking me to he infirmary as Tedros started to deflect the arrows again do we could get away without being shot again.

-

On day 7 however, Grimm began to fly after me at lunch, evading the grasps of several students, wolves, fairies and the teachers, until luckily just before he could dive at me, Hester's demon subdued the little devil, as I shook with fear at the red eyes glaring into my soul as it flew after me, breathing heavily as I glance nervously at Sophie and her Cupid.

-

Day 8 was worse however. Hester's demon couldn't control Grimm any longer, the Cupid firing arrows tipped with fire, one singed my ear another nearly hit my face if Tedros hadn't blocked it in time. Though that seemed to be the final straw for everyone as the next day, Grimm didn't return, and no one seemed very concerned as to where he disappeared to.

———————-

However about 5 days later, everything changed once more.

In Surviving Fairy Tales, we were climbing trees to study the Forest Flora, Tedros began to reach for a blue hornbeam beach when something flew at him, smacking the swan on his chest, only for the little thing to turn crimson, ricochet off of him like a rubber band, and smash into Sophie with a violent, alien screw,, causing everyone to spin towards her in shock.

Sophie's black robes were splashed with a giant, bloody letter F.

"For Failing to abide by the rules." Yuba glowered from a tree. "No spells until after the Unlocking."

Beatrix picked a broken heart bullet off the ground. "A love spell? You tried a love spell on Tedros?" I stared at her in shock, having not expected Sophie to stoop this low. However the entire class burst into howls. I looked towards Tedros, who i had never seen more enraged. Sophie covered her face and fled, sobs echoing through the forest.

"Every year, a rascal tries something. But even the sorriest rascal knows there's no shortcuts to love," Yuba said. "We'll start with proper spells next week, I assure you. But for now, on to ferns! How can we tell if a fern is actually a Never in disguise—" looking behind me I notice Agatha rushing after my sister and I frown, wondering if I should follow after them, before shaking my head realising that that is a stupid idea, especially with what they've done to me since we arrived here, I suppose a little humiliation is nothing compared to what they've put me through in the weeks we've been here, what with trying to leave me behind, beating me black and blue and doing several other things.

I quickly walk to catch up to the rest of the group, Tedros pulling me into a quick hug with a kiss in my nose as if to assure himself of the fact the spell didn't work, before we continued to follow the rest of the group onwards into the blue forest.

1295 words~