TWENTY

MIRACLE
___________

THIS HAD MAYBE BEEN THE MOST PEACEFUL DAY I'd had since the holidays began. I was curled up on my porch swing, reading a smutty romance novel and definitely not picturing the blue eyed, brown haired lead as Jack, and the brunette female lead as myself. I was mid sex-scene, trying to push back my blush as I read about the dominant male lead and all the things he wished to do to the girl in the book in a public change room.

I was finally through the chapter and onto the next, a twist in the novel that had me hanging onto every last word, wanting to know more, when I felt the swing move from under me, a presence sitting beside me, leaning across to peer at the pages of my book.

I snapped the novel closed, frowning at the boy beside me. He was dressed in a grey sweater and jeans, a cap on his head turned backwards and some white Nike's on his feet. He looked equal parts causal and nice, and I was trying to figure out how he did that. He was gazing up at me with amusement behind his eyes, knowing he was being annoying by trying to read my book, like he used to when we were kids.

"What are you doing?" I snap, annoyed that he'd ruined my moment of peace with his ocean deep eyes and kissable lips.

He shrugs, leaning back casually. "Come to pick my girl up."

Rolling my eyes, I turn away from him. "Too bad she doesn't live here."

Jack's grin grows, he knows he's getting under my skin, and he loves it. He's always loved it. "I think I'm looking at her right now."

"Don't think so," I mumble, pouting as I cross my arms over my chest. Sure, Jack had been a lot flirtier than usual, he'd even made me come a few times, and there was no doubt tension between us that was getting thicker and thicker by the day, begging one of us to crack and give in. I didn't want that person to be me, I wanted it to be Jack. Still, he hadn't kissed me yet, so I was in no way his.

"Is this about kissing you?" Jack mumbled, brushing his nose against my cheek, asking for attention. I stay facing away from him, still with a pout. Jack chuckles at the realisation that it is, and nudges his nose to my skin again. "Miracle."

"Go away," I groan, pushing at his chest. He takes the opportunity to grab my wrist in his hand, yanking me towards him. I gasp, staring right into his eyes, my breath hitching in my throat at how close we are, how close Jack has made us be.

"Let's go shopping," he grins, and I give him a glare. He mocks me, glaring back. "Come on, baby doll. I've got money to blow and you need a dress for the wedding."

"Im not going," I snap, fully knowing that I'm acting like a child, but not really caring.

Jack rolled his eyes, changing position so that he was now crouching in front of me, looking up through his lashes at me as he held both my hands. "Because I haven't kissed you yet?"

"No," I mumble, blushing.

Jack figures me out in a split second, and his smile grows. He stands from his place in front of me, a still with my hands in his, pulls me from my place on the swing and guides me effortlessly towards his chest.

"I told you I was waiting until the time is right," he whispers, moving my hands to wrap them around his neck before placing his own palms on the skin of my cheeks. He rubs his thumbs over my jaw. "I'm trying to make it special, Miracle, do it right. I'm trying not to hurt you."

"It hurts anyway," I admit, my voice matching his, barely a whisper. I can feel the anxiety creeping in, like it often does whenever Jack hurts my feelings. Like it has so many times before. I push down the feeling, blinking back tears I didn't want to cry. "It feels like you don't want to kiss me."