EIGHT

MIRACLE
_______________

I'D COMPLETELY LOST HIM.

We were in a department store that was open 24 hours for the holidays and I'd lost Jack. There was a song playing over the PA system that sounded a lot like It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year, but as I searched through every aisle, looking for Jack, my apparent date, it felt less than wonderful.

I doubted it entirely, but I checked the toy aisle just incase he'd decided to be a child and play with the kids toys. Pausing, I pulled out my phone, opting for just calling him.

I didn't even get the chance to press dial before strong arms wrapped their way around my waist, Jack calling out "raaah" as he picked me up, running down the aisle a few steps. I squealed, the exact sound he wanted to hear, before a string of giggles erupted from my stomach and left my mouth before I could stop them.

"Jack!" I whined playfully as he placed my shoes back on the ground, turning me in his arms. The second I laid eyes on him I burst out laughing. Not the shy kind, that I'd been doing all night, either, but a full out laugh. "What the hell are you wearing?"

He was fully glad in a princess dress he'd found from who even knows where, a tiara on his head and a pair of fairy wings. He had a string of silver tinsel thrown around his neck like a scarf and a huge smile on his face.

I searched everywhere, desperately trying to make sure no one was around to see famous NHL star Jack Hughes prance around in a princess costume. He didn't seem to mind, giggling like an absolute idiot as he continued to hold my waist.

"What?" He asked, blinking. "What's wrong? You don't like my outfit?"

I tipped my head back, not being able to stop laughing at him. "Where did you even get that? Is that what you've been doing all this time?"

"I found you one too, bub," he chuckled. My heart stopped. He'd been calling me bub since I was a child, as if him being a few years older made me a baby, but he only ever said it when he wanted to be endearing. "Except I couldn't find another princess, so you have to be a dinosaur, hope that's okay."

I giggled for the millionth time, burying my face in the crook of his neck. "Take it off dingus!"

He tossed the tinsel around my neck as I looked up at him with a dramatic pout. "Wow, you are a model," he mocked, standing back to look at me in the tinsel.

"Jack, please," I begged, trying to conceal another all-out grin.

He gave me a dry look. "Fine."

He was halfway between taking off the dress when I started giggling again, and earning a heavenly smile from Jack, himself. He looked up at me as he tossed the pink princess dress to the side, not a care in the world.

"Jack," I whined. "The Tiara."

"What tiara?" He asked, feigning innocence. He took two steps toward me, immediately catching my waist in his grip again. I leaned away from him, but he followed me, making me feel like maybe he was taking the fake girlfriend for the night thing a little bit seriously. I wasn't expecting him to actually do anything aside from tease me, but the moment his teeth bit down on my shoulder, my cheeks flushed the hottest, most raging pink they'd ever been.

It was a playful bite, not hard enough to leave any marks, but it still had my insides bubbling and my stomach flipping like I'd just been at the top of a roller coaster and we'd just done the first drop.

"Did you just bite me?" I squeak, despite myself and how I felt.

"Yeah," he shrugs, as if it wasn't the strangest thing in the world to do. "I'm claiming my ownership over you like they do in those weird werewolf fiction books on Wattpad."