FOURTEEN

AT SOME TIME AFTER MIDNIGHT, MONICA ENDED UP ditching Jack and hooked up with another guy named Andy, which was a relief, because now I didn't have to play games anymore, and I could simply just enjoy myself. I flopped on the sofa, Jack pulling my legs into his lap and tracing circles on my shin as the rest of the group bantered and spoke.

"So, what did you guys bet on?" Quinn asked with a cocky smirk, and I knew he was just trying to get us to admit that we wanted each other, which was becoming more and more obvious by the day. Still, I wasn't about to admit it out loud, and now that I'd come down from my teasing Jack high, I was back to being blush old me.

"Absolutely nothing that concerns you," Jack commented with a smirk, his blue eyes sparkling as he kept it between us.

"I think I can already guess," America grinned, nudging Jemma's shoulder.

"Yeah," Jem laughed. "Somehow I think both of you won that bet either way."

"They're still here," Trevor frowned, sulking on an armchair as he watched his best mate draw patterns on my skin with his fingers, actively ignoring his request to stay away from me. "So at least we know neither have followed through with it."

"For now," I hummed, smiling at him dead on.

Trevor pretended to scratch his cheek with his middle finger. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, at least we know they'll finally end up together," America smiles so big I think she might split her lips open, watching her ship sail.

"Who will end up together?" A voice asks, ripping me out of my blissfully relaxed state beside Jack. I sat up abruptly, leaning close to the brunette boy beside me subconsciously as I glared up at him.

Jake.

He was wearing a stupid button down shirt in navy blue and a pair of black ripped jeans, his hair tucked under a cap. I glared at him, wanting him to leave me alone, leave us alone, and let me enjoy myself. Jake had other ideas, seemingly, as he sat on the other side of me on the couch, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

Jack reacted like it was second nature, snarling at the younger boy as he pushed his hand from its resting place on the small of my back, wrapped his own hands around me, and pulled me to his lap.

"Hand off," he spat, near growling at the boy. I had to remind my heart how to beat. I'd never seen Jack being protective over a girl. Ever. Especially not me, and I never thought I'd be on the receiving end of his protectiveness. It made my heart do strange things.

Jake raised a single eyebrow. "Thought you and Jack were just friends, Mira?"

"Use your eyes, Sanchez," Jack glared, rolling his eyes. "What the fuck does it look like to you?"

"Looks like you show up one day and decide to play the over-protective boyfriend card," Jake bit back, smirking. "Too bad she already has a boyfriend and doesn't need you."

"Yeah," Jack sassed, lacing our fingers together. I definitely wasn't about to protest. "Me. So fuck off."

Jake turned his attention to me, seething. "You can't be fucking serious, Mira? You're actually gonna let him speak for you like that?"

"He's not lying," I add, chin held high. "Jack and I are . . ."

The two boys were glaring at each other, so much so that they'd gained the attention of quite a few people in the room, openly making it obvious that they were competing for my attention. It was also painfully obvious that Jack was the person winning.

"So you fucked off on our date for this guy, and now you two are what? Fuckin boyfriend and girlfriend?"

No response, but I held his gaze, defying him.