How it all Began

CHRISTMAS EVE
2010

* * *

I was seven when I met my very first love

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I was seven when I met my very first love.

We had just packed up our life and moved all the way from sunny California to freezing cold Toronto, and to say I was bitter was an understatement. I was being made to leave behind everything that I loved. My friends, my tyre swing, the beach. And, don't even get me started on Disneyland. How were we meant to go to Disneyland now? We'd been driving for days, and the further we got from my favourite castle, the bigger my chest hurt.

I didn't want to move, especially not now, not at the worst time of year. I don't like Christmas very much. I'd always been a shy girl, and for some reason, my parents didn't understand that at all. I figured it was because my big brother, Trevor, wasn't shy at all. And Christmas time, well, it was when my parents liked to make me the centre of attention.

Mom told everyone we met that I was born on Christmas Eve, a Christmas Miracle, is what she liked to call me. That was how I got my name.

Miracle Noelle Zegras.

You can see the problem. Trevor had a normal name, and his friends usually called him Z, while my name was weird, and often found me the culprit of mean comments and name calling.

Back in California, I was called Elf Girl, which wasn't honestly that offensive, but the other kids thought it was funny, and I didn't have the courage to tell them to stop. I was worried that the bullying would follow me, that people would find out my name and pick on me.

"Oh, sweetie," mom called from the front seat, looking back at me with one of her bright smiles where all her teeth showed. "Look at all the Christmas lights!"

Mom, loved Christmas, and for as long as I can remember, she'd been playing Micheal Buble Christmas albums for the entire month of December, filling the house with copious amount of candy cane, which gave me a head ache, and forcing me into activities that should make a seven year old giddy inside.

I nodded, acknowledging the lights for my mom's benefit, and going back to reading my book. I was currently reading all of the Harry Potter books, again. I liked the Harry Potter world, it made me feel like the real world didn't exist, where magic wasn't Santa and his Reindeer, but wizards and spells and dragons. I also liked Harry Potter and his blue eyes and dark hair. I don't know what he looked like, because Mom won't let me watch the movies yet, but I imagine he's very pretty.

Our car came to a stop out the front of a large house, snow on the road and sidewalks and all of the lights on. Trevor and I shared a confused glance at who was in our house.