ONE

DECEMBER 1ST
2021

***

I HAD ALWYAS SAT ON MY PORCH SWING TO READ, whether it was sunny, raining or snow. And, right now it was snowing while I read The Love Hypothesis on my little porch swing, curled up with a coffee in my favourite mug that read "fuck off, peasants" and under my all time favourite quilted blanket that Ellen Hughes had got me one Christmas.

I had a lot of memories out here, on this swing. Since I could remember, moving here to Toronto, my fondest moments had been on this swing. Like losing my first tooth, blood went everywhere. Or, the first time Trevor had ever come home from hockey crying, because of an injury, and I'd made him laugh out here on this swing. Or, my first kiss, when I was ten.

Trevor, Jack, Quinn and Luke always played outside together, running around, playing hockey, skating for fun and making sure whatever they played, I couldn't join in. They ran back inside, chasing Luke, who had a football under his arm.

I sat on my swing, my legs crossed under me and a glass of mom's lemonade by my side. It was the beginning of summer, and we were set to go on vacation in Michigan in a few weeks, to our lake house, but right now, I was killing time by reading my favourite new series, Divergent.

Jack trailed behind his brothers and Trevor, laughing, before his eyes flickered my way, and he noticed something that bothered him. I looked sort of sad. Sure, he didn't like when I had to be included games anymore than Trevor did, but he didn't want me to think it was because he didn't like me. Because he did, a lot.

Jack paused at the doorframe, staring at me curiously. I could feel him gazing, but I didn't look up from my book, just incase I blushed like I always did.

It was no secret that I had a crush on the blue eyed boy. Even our freaking parents knew, and Jack loved to tease me about it. I thought that was what he was coming to do now, and dread started to settle in as he made his way over to me.

Jack was twelve now, and things had started to change for him. His hair was growing out from its buzz cut, his voice had somehow grown at least five octaves deeper, seemingly overnight, and he was tall, like, really tall.

He sat by my side, his pretty eyes piercing through my skin and making me feel like he was finding out all of my closely guarded secrets, I craned my neck, glaring at his with wide eyes.

"What?" I spat, self conscious. Maybe I had something on my face?

He grinned, one of his all teeth, crooked and heart throbbing smiles that always made my heart race. "What ya reading?"

I slammed my book shut, shoving it under my legs. "None of your business."

I knew I was being blunt, but Jack had a history of being mean to me, he'd pull my hair and steal my books and he always put me in head locks. I hated it. I hated being treated like he was my older brother, because I didn't see him as my older brother. Quinn and Luke, they were my brothers, but Jack, I loved him.

"Kinda is, Miracle," he teased, getting a little too close to me for my liking. I sucked in a breath, nearly stumbling back and off the swing, and Jack took this as his opportunity to steal my book from under my legs.